Integration between LMS365 and Microsoft Viva Learning is available for customers with an LMS365 Professional or Select subscription. It isn't available to customers with an LMS365 Standard subscription. If you have a Standard subscription and want to benefit from the Microsoft Viva Learning integration, you can upgrade your subscription here.
You can integrate LMS365 with Microsoft Viva Learning and feature LMS365 courses in Viva Learning. This integration ensures that structured courses from your LMS365 solution are shown in Viva Learning, together with other available learning in the organization. LMS365 training plans aren't synced with Viva Learning but courses within training plans are synced.
Before you start, make sure that your Microsoft Viva Learning or Microsoft Viva suite subscriptions are enabled, and that you've assigned Microsoft Viva Learning licenses to your users.
The integration can be completed only by a user with Microsoft 365 global admin permissions.
Once integrated, LMS365 is included in the list of available content providers for your Viva Learning application, and when enabled, LMS365 courses are shown in cards, side by side with other learning content you choose to display in Viva Learning.
The employee learning API in Microsoft Graph is on the /beta version. Therefore, it's subject to change and there can be issues with integrations created with this API.
Also, due to its version, the employee learning API in production applications isn't supported.
See Microsoft's documentation for more information on the employee learning API and its status.
Integrate LMS365 with Microsoft Viva Learning
1. With a Microsoft 365 global admin account, go to the LMS365 Admin Center > Global Settings > LMS Configuration > Integration connectors > Integration connectors panel > select Connect on the Viva Learning tile.
If your subscription plan doesn't support integration between LMS365 and Viva Learning, the Connect option will be disabled. In this case, you'll see a yellow banner at the top of the page, which will invite you to upgrade your subscription plan.
2. On the Viva Learning tile, select Connect.
3. From the Pick an account list, select a user with Microsoft 365 global admin permissions. If this user isn't shown in the list, select Use another account and log in using your Microsoft 365 global admin account.
The first time you connect with this tenant, you'll be asked to review and consent to permissions that will enable LMS365 to:
- Manage learning provider – Create, update, read, and delete data for the learning providers in the organization's directory, on behalf of the signed-in user.
- Manage all learning content – Manage all learning content in the organization's directory, without a signed-in user.
- Sign in and read user profile – Sign in to the app, allow the app to read the profile of signed-in users, and allow the app to read basic company information of signed-in users.
If you connect again in the future, you won't be asked to provide consent again because consent will be automatically assumed.
4. Select the expand icon against each permission and review the information carefully.
5. If you consent to grant permissions, select Accept. Otherwise, select Cancel.
Once you've granted consent, the Integration connectors panel opens and LMS365 starts to synchronize your courses with Viva Learning.
You should expect synchronization to take at least 24 hours. It will take a similar length of time when creating courses and managing enrollments in LMS365 after the initial synchronization.
You can start to prepare by customizing the logos you want to use for each of the themes. You can do this as soon as you're connected – you don't have to wait until synchronization is finished.
All courses in all of your catalogs are pushed to Viva Learning, except for those that:
- Are unpublished.
- Are marked as not visible in the course catalog.
- Have a targeted audience.
- Aren't visible to all users in your company.
LMS365 course enrollment and learner progress information is synced between LMS365 and Viva Learning. When synced, learners can get a separate view of all the courses in which they're enrolled in Viva Learning, as well as their training progress.
How are course enrollments synced between LMS365 and Viva Learning?
All active enrollments recorded in LMS365 are synced with Viva Learning.
Enrollments that were previously synced with Viva Learning that are now expired or cancelled will be removed from Viva Learning.
Enrollments recorded in LMS365 as pending approval or on a waiting list aren't synced and they won't be shown in Viva Learning.
Where users were enrolled in an LMS365 course as part of an Microsoft Entra ID (Azure Active Directory) group, once synced with Viva Learning, these are shown as individual enrollments in Viva Learning. As a result, you won't see any reference to Microsoft Entra ID (Azure Active Directory) groups in Viva Learning.
LMS365 training plans aren't synced with Viva Learning but courses within training plans are synced.
How is training progress synced between LMS365 and Viva Learning?
A learner's training progress will be synced with, and reflected in, Viva Learning. A learner's progress with a course is displayed on the course card.
Not started - LMS365 courses that learners are enrolled in but haven’t started yet.
In progress - LMS365 courses that learners have started but not completed.
Completed - LMS365 courses that learners have completed by attending the required sessions and completing the relevant learning items. The date on which the course was completed is also synced with Viva Learning.
Where will LMS365 courses be displayed in Viva Learning?
All courses that a learner is enrolled in are displayed on the Recommended to you section of the My Learning tab in Viva Learning, unless a course is marked as mandatory, in which case it'll be displayed on the Assigned to you section. Where a mandatory course doesn't have an end date recorded in LMS365, it's given an end date of 01/01/2099 when synced to Viva Learning.
Due dates for LMS365 courses are synced to Viva Learning, and are displayed on course cards.
When learners complete an LMS365 course, the course will be moved to the Completed tab in Viva Learning. The Completed status and the completion date will be displayed on the course card.
When an LMS365 course has passed its due date, the number of days it is overdue will be shown on the course card in Viva Learning instead of the course progress indicator.
Check the connection with Viva Learning
To check the status of the connection with Viva Learning, follow these steps:
As an LMS admin, go to the LMS365 Admin Center > Global Settings > LMS Configuration > Integration connectors > Integration connectors panel.
The integration connection status is displayed on the Viva Learning tile:
- Connected - displayed in green text, this means that LMS365 is connected with Viva Learning.
- Connection error - displayed in red text, this means that an error is preventing LMS365 from connecting with Viva Learning. For information about the error, select Manage.
- Connecting - displayed in grey text, this means that LMS365 is checking the connection with Viva Learning.
Customize LMS365 course providers
In Viva Learning, a small logo is shown in the bottom left-hand corner of a course card, as well as the name of the content provider. Select a card to see the same logo displayed in the expanded view.
By default, LMS365 courses in Viva Learning display the LMS365 logo. The Viva Learning panel enables you to customize the logos and names of the providers for your organization's courses, as well as the catalogs you want to associate with each provider.
When you first set up the integration between LMS365 and Microsoft Viva Learning, a default provider (LMS365) is created automatically, together with a set of logos. All available catalogs, and therefore all available courses, are associated with this provider.
For existing integrations, from the September 2023 release, all available catalogs, and therefore all available courses, are associated with your provider. You can change the catalogs associated with your current provider.
You can configure multiple content providers in Viva Learning, which will enable you to clearly separate course content and control visibility of courses in Viva Learning. For example, if you have several course catalogs in various languages, you can choose to show courses from the different language catalogs with unique provider names and logos in Viva Learning. When learners select a language-specific catalog in Viva Learning, they'll see only the courses in that language.
Also, you can choose to show courses in Viva Learning from only some of your LMS365 course catalogs by assigning catalogs to each provider.
Once the integration between LMS365 and Microsoft Viva Learning is configured, you can delete any provider as long as you keep at last one.
Add or edit a course provider
1. On the Viva Learning tile, select Manage. The Viva Learning panel opens.
The Viva Learning panel shows your existing providers.
2. To edit an existing provider, select it to open the Edit provider panel. Alternatively, select Add provider to open the Add provider panel.
The steps for adding and editing providers are the same, the only difference being the name of the panel you work in.
3. Enter the Display name. This is displayed in the providers list in Viva Learning.
4. Choose the catalogs you want to associate with this provider using the Course catalogs field. This a required field.
Click in the Course catalogs field and select the relevant catalogs from the drop-down. Alternatively, select All catalogs to associate all the catalogs with this provider. Selecting All catalogs will remove any catalogs that were added individually. This is a required field.
Remove any unwanted catalogs by selecting the X icon on the right-hand side of the catalog name.
Catalog names aren't displayed in Viva Learning but they're used to determine which courses for each provider are sent to Viva Learning.
By default, courses in Viva Learning display the LMS365 logo for the related provider, but you can change these logos.
You can choose different images for each shape of logo in each theme for each provider:
- Full size logo for dark theme (a rectangle image that's displayed on the details page of the learning content)
- Square logo for dark theme (a square image that's displayed on the learning content card)
- Full size logo for light theme (a rectangle image that's displayed on the details page of the learning content)
- Square logo for light theme (a square image that's displayed on the learning content card)
5. Hover over the logo you want to change and choose Select image.
Any images that are already uploaded are displayed.
6. Select an image that's already been uploaded. Alternatively, upload a new image by selecting Upload. If you choose to upload a new image, navigate to the relevant folder and select it.
7. Select an image and then select Delete to delete it, if required.
8. Select Save to return to the Add or Edit provider panel.
The selected images are now displayed for all your courses that can be accessed from Viva Learning.
9. Select Save to save your changes and return to the Viva Learning panel, or Cancel to discard your changes.
Delete a course provider
If you delete a course provider, it won't be displayed in the list of available providers in Viva Learning and learners won't be able to consume training from any of its related catalogs in Viva Learning.
You can delete any provider, including the default (LMS365) one. However, you must have at least one provider for the integration between LMS365 and Microsoft Viva Learning to work. If you have only one provider, its delete (bin) icon will be greyed out and the following message will be displayed when you hover over the icon: "You must have at least one provider. Add a different provider before deleting this one."
LMS365 course providers won't be removed from Viva Learning immediately. There will be a short period of time between choosing to delete a provider in LMS365 and the provder being removed from Viva Learning.
1. On the Viva Learning panel, select the red bin icon next to the provider you want to delete.
2. Confirm the action by selecting Delete, or select Cancel. This action can't be undone.
Disconnect from Viva Learning
Disconnecting from the service removes the link between LMS365 and Viva Learning. Additionally:
- Providers that are defined in LMS365 are no longer displayed in the list of available providers in Viva Learning.
- Any content previously synchronized is no longer available in Viva Learning.
- Courses, enrollments, and course activity are no longer synchronized between LMS365 and Viva Learning.
When you disconnect, you'll see a confirmation message. When you confirm, the link between the providers defined in LMS365 and Viva Learning is removed. Once this change is processed by both LMS365 and Viva Learning, LMS365 content will no longer be available in Viva Learning.
Content won't be removed from Viva Learning immediately. There will be a short period of time between choosing to disconnect from the service and the content being removed from Viva Learning.
1. With a Microsoft 365 global admin account, go to the LMS365 Admin Center > Global Settings > LMS Configuration > Integration connectors > Integration connectors panel > select Manage on the Viva Learning tile.
2. On the Viva Learning panel, select Disconnect.
3. Confirm the action by selecting OK, or select Cancel.