A combination of SharePoint and LMS365 functionality enables you to create customized LMS365 course catalog pages within the same course catalog that can, for example, each display a different selection of courses and training plans.
Customized pages are practical when there are complex scenarios in an organization where, for example, a multilingual approach is required. This will enable you to create a specific course catalog page for each language your training is available in and only feature courses and training plans of the same language on each course catalog page, or you can create a specific course catalog page where you only show training that is available in multiple languages.
The benefit from a learner's perspective is that with a single sign-in, they can access all relevant training within a single course catalog. Admins won't have to create multiple course catalogs for training in different languages and can maintain all courses and training plans in one place.
In this article, we go through the steps of creating a custom LMS365 course catalog page that displays a selection of courses with content in multiple languages.
Create a custom LMS365 course catalog page
The course catalog page is where your courses and training plans are featured. Here, learners can get an overview of the available courses and training plans in a course catalog—or a selection of these, as we will show in this article.
To create a custom LMS365 course catalog page for multilingual courses, follow the steps below.
To be able to create a custom LMS36 course catalog page for multilingual courses as in this example case, you need to categorize courses and training plans in your course catalog to be able to sort them in accordance with the languages they are available in. For more information on how to manage categories, refer to this article.
If the SharePoint Translation service is enabled, you can create a copy of the default course catalog page for each required language and then follow the steps described below.
1. Create a new SharePoint page in your course catalog.
For detailed instructions on how to use and create pages on a SharePoint site, refer to this Microsoft documentation article.
2. To create a custom LMS365 course catalog page, you must first add the LMS365 Course Catalog web part to the newly created page. Hover over the place where you want to add the web part and select the plus icon.
3. Select the LMS365 Course Catalog web part.
The list view shows a full description of the displayed web parts.
4. The added LMS365 Course Catalog web part now needs to be configured. Select the Web parts settings icon on the LMS365 Course Catalog web part to do this.
5. On the opened Course Catalog Settings panel, change the web parts settings as shown below.
In the Catalog Content Editor section:
- Enter a specific Title for the courses and training plans that will be displayed on this page.
- Enter a Description, which you might want to use to record detailed instructions for learners, for example, how to complete multilingual courses.
- Move the Highest Ranked Training toggle to the Off position to prevent the display of courses and training plans that don't relate to the set categories.
In the Filters section:
- If you don't want learners to apply filters on the course catalog page, move all the toggles to the Off position. Otherwise, keep them switched On.
- For the Categories filter, select Edit to change these settings.
On the opened Categories panel:
- In the Category Options (Left Navigation) section, drag the Display Categories toggle to the Off position.
- In the Category Options (Course List) section, select the Number of Categories to Show from the drop-down list and perform these actions:
a. In the Number of Categories to Show drop-down list, select the number of categories that will cover the courses and training plans to be displayed on the custom LMS365 catalog page and that will, therefore, filter the relevant training.
b. Depending on the selected number, you'll find a number of fields displayed that you need to complete with the relevant categories. To display all multilingual courses on the course catalog page, only one category is required, for example, "Multilingual".
- In the Category Options (Browse Buttons), select zero (0).
6. To save the settings introduced on the Categories panel, select OK at the bottom of the page. To cancel the action, select Cancel.
7. On the Course Catalog Settings page, select Save to apply the settings to the customized LMS365 Course Catalog web part.
As a result, on your custom LMS365 course catalog web part, only the courses that are filtered according to the set categories are displayed. On the image below, only the courses with the Multilingual trainging/Многоязычные тренинги category are displayed on the custom LMS365 course catalog page.
However, learners can still browse other categories of the current course catalog by selecting Show more at the bottom of the page. To ensure learners only see the filtered courses/training plans, you can hide the Show more button at this page. These steps are described in the next section of this article.
8. When all the settings on the custom page are configured, select Publish in the top right-hand side of the page. If you edited the published page, select Republish.
9. The published custom page must now be properly linked so learners can find it easily. These steps are described in the last section of this article.
Show or hide the Show more button
To hide the Show more button on your custom LMS365 course catalog page, follow these steps:
1. Select the Web part settings icon from your custom LMS365 course catalog page.
2. On the opened Course Catalog Settings panel, select Description > Edit> the View HTML icon.
3. In the opened field, enter the following CSS code and select Update.
4. On the Description panel, select OK. On the Course Catalog Settings panel, select Save.
As a result, the Show more button isn't displayed on the customized LMS365 course catalog page. Therefore, learners will only see all the relevant courses and training plans on this one specific page.
If you decide later that you want to display the Show more button on this page, you may restore its visibility. To do so, delete the inserted CSS code from the Description field following the steps above.
Add a link to the custom LMS365 course catalog page
When the customized LMS365 course catalog page is published, you can make it available to learners by creating a direct link to it in the SharePoint site top navigation.
This can be done in two ways:
- After the page is published, you'll see options for how to share the page.
Selecting Add page to navigation places the link to this page at the SharePoint site top navigation.
- You can manually create a link in the SharePoint site top navigation by following the steps described in this article.
To learn more about customizing SharePoint's site navigation, see this Microsoft documentation article.
If the SharePoint Translation service is enabled, you can configure multiple translations of the link in the relevant languages. As a result, learners will automatically see the menu link in their preferred language if it's published.