In order to employ the full features of the Line Manager Dashboard, it is important that you have your organization hierarchy set up. The Line Manager Dashboard uses Microsoft Graph API to get the manager relationship which means the manager property should be set in Azure Active Directory.
To specify the user's line manager from the Microsoft 365 Exchange admin center:
- Login as an administrator to your Office 365 and then choose Exchange Admin centers.
- Go to the Recipients on the left side menu and select the person that you want to manage. On the open sidebar go to Accounts tab and click Manage Organization Information.
- Edit organization sidebar opens where you can select a user from the Mailboxes list to add as a line manager for users in the Direct reports field.
Specifying the user's manager from the Microsoft 365 Exchange admin center allows to assign as line managers the users from the Microsoft Mailboxes list only.
The user assigned as a line manager will appear in the corresponding Manager column of the LMS365 Users section.
To specify the user's manager from Azure Active Directory directly:
- Login as an administrator to your Azure portal, go to Azure Active Directory in the left menu.
- Go to Manage - Users.
- Search for the person you want to manage, and click them to manage.
- Click the Edit button on the top navigation bar.
- Navigate to the Job Info and click change or remove the manager.
- Search for the desired manager and click the Select button.
- It can take up to 48 hours to update the line manager(s).
- A common case is synchronizing your local Active Directory with Office 365. If you have that configuration in place you set up the organizational hierarchy in the local Active Directory, and the changes are pushed to Azure Active Directory during synchronization.
- Setting up manager in user profiles in SharePoint Admin Center of Office 365 will not push the changes to Azure Active Directory. SharePoint Online uses the Active Directory Import timer job to import users and groups into the User Profile Application. AD Import syncs changes from the SharePoint Online Directory Store to the User Profile Application.
For more information check the following articles:
Information about user profile synchronization in SharePoint Online.
Manage SharePoint Online user profiles from the SharePoint admin center.
Once your organization hierarchy is set up in Azure Active Directory it will be synched with our application. By default, the synchronization runs once an hour. After that, you will be able to see subordinates in the manager dashboard. Besides, make sure your subordinates have at least Visitor permissions on the site where you placed the dashboard app part.