In order to employ the full features of the Line Manager Dashboard, you need to set up your organization hierarchy. The Line Manager Dashboard uses Microsoft Graph API to determine the manager relationship, meaning the manager property should be set in Microsoft Entra ID (Azure Active Directory).
To specify the user's line manager from the Microsoft 365 Exchange admin center:
1. Log in to Office 365 as the Microsoft 365 global admin and select Exchange admin center.
2. Go to Recipients > Mailboxes on the left navigation menu and select the person you want to manage. The sidebar panel opens.
3. On the opened sidebar, go to the Organization tab and select Manage Organization Information. The Edit organization sidebar opens.
4. On the Edit organization sidebar, select a user from the Manager drop-down to add them as a line manager for the selected user.
Using the Microsoft 365 Exchange admin center enables you to assign line managers only from Microsoft mailboxes.
The user assigned as the line manager will be displayed in the Manager column of the LMS365 Users page.
To specify the user's line manager directly from Microsoft Entra ID (Azure AD):
1. Log in as an admin to your Microsoft Azure portal and select Manage Microsoft Entra ID. The Microsoft Entra ID Overview page opens.
2. On the Microsoft Entra ID Overview page, select Users under Manage on the left side navigation menu.
The Users page opens.
3. On the Users page, search for and select the user you want to manage. The user's page opens.
4. On the user's page, select Edit properties. The user's properties page opens.
5. On the user's properties page, go to the Job Information tab.
If the user has no line manager set, the + symbol will be displayed next to the Manager field. Select the + icon to open the Edit Manager panel. Search for and select the relevant manager. The selected manager will be displayed under Selected items.
Save your changes with Select.
If the user already has a line manager set, the name of the manager and an edit (pencil) icon will be displayed next to the Manager field. Select the edit icon to open the Edit Manager panel. Search for and select the relevant manager. The selected manager will replace the existing one and their name will be displayed under Selected items. If you select Remove next to the current manager displayed under Selected items, the user will have no line manager set.
Save your changes with Select.
- It can take up to 48 hours for the change in line manager to take effect.
- It is common practice to synchronize your local Active Directory with Office 365. With this configuration in place, you set up the organization hierarchy in the local Active Directory and the changes are pushed to Microsoft Entra ID (Azure AD) during synchronization.
- Setting the line manager in user profiles via the SharePoint admin center of Office 365 won't push the changes to Microsoft Entra ID (Azure AD). SharePoint Online uses the Active Directory Import timer job to import users and groups into the User Profile Application. Active Directory Import syncs changes from the SharePoint Online Directory Store to the User Profile Application.
For more information, see the following articles:
Information about user profile synchronization in SharePoint Online.
Manage SharePoint Online user profiles from the SharePoint admin center.
Once your organization hierarchy is set up in Microsoft Entra ID (Azure AD), it'll be synced with our application. By default, synchronization runs every 10 minutes. After that, you'll will be able to see subordinates in the Line Manager Dashboard. Ensure your subordinates have at least Visitor permissions on the site where you've placed the dashboard app part.