The Content section of the course configuration panel enables course and catalog admins to create, manage, and get an overview of the course content.
From here, admins can create and manage different types of course content (content packages, quizzes, learning modules, assessments, and external apps), get an overview of all the current course content, and control how the content is displayed to learners on the course home page.
In this guide, we'll provide an overview of the Content section and how to create and manage course content for individual courses.
Overview of the Content section
Required role: catalog admin or course admin.
You can find the course content management page from the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > Select a course > Course Management > Manage Course Content. The Content section of the course configuration panel opens.
The Content section of the course configuration panel enables you to manage course content. The current content of the course will be displayed on the page, with learning items being shown in the prescribed order.
The content of the free sample courses can't be edited. However, the learning items can still be reordered.
The Content section has the following columns:
- Name. Shows the name of the learning item. This name is visible to learners in the Content section of the course home page.
- Visibility. Shows whether the item is visible or hidden for learners on the course home page and in the learning player.
- The source of the imported content package (the column with the cloud icon). Content packages that are imported with Go1 or LinkedIn Learning courses can be identified by the relevant brand. This column is displayed only when Go1 and/or LinkedIn Learning integration is set up and courses have been imported from the source into LMS365.
- Type. Shows the learning item type: Learning module, Quiz, Content package, or External App.
- Published. Shows whether the learning item is published.
- Number of Items. Shows the number of learning item elements.
- Course Completion. Shows whether the learning item is set as required to complete the course. By default, all learning items added to a course are set as required to complete the course but this setting can be configured via course completion settings. Find more information about course completion settings in this article.
- Progress. Shows how learners are progressing with the individual learning item. Color indicator and percentage will give a quick indication of the progress status:
- Not Started. Learners haven't started the learning item yet.
- In Progress. Learners have started the attempt but not yet completed it.
- Failed. Learners failed to complete the last attempt or the learning item itself.
- Completed. Learners have successfully completed the learning item.
When no users are enrolled in the course, the progress bar of the learning items is grey.
Add learning items to courses
To add a learning item to a course, from the Content section, select + Add Learning Item and choose the type of learning item you want to add to the course.
The content of free sample courses can't be edited, and the Add Learning Item action is disabled for these courses.
After selecting a learning item, you'll be able to add, create, or upload it from the opened panel:
- Find information about creating and managing content packages in this article.
- Find information about creating and managing quizzes in this article.
- Find information about creating and managing assessments in this article.
- Find information about creating and managing external apps in this article.
- Find information about creating and managing learning modules in this article.
Reorder learning items
By default, the order of learning items corresponds to the order in which they were added to the course. You can drag learning items to reorder them.
The display order of learning items in the Content section is reflected on the course home page so learners will see learning items in the same order. This is the order in which they'll consume the content in the LMS365 course player.
Newly added learning items will appear under the existing ones in the order they were added to the course.
Set prerequisites (locking option)
Admins can set prerequisites by locking learning items for learners until all preceding learning elements have been completed. By locking learning items, the admin controls the order in which learners progress through the course content.
The learning item order and prerequisites are reflected on the course home page and in the reports.
To set prerequisites, select the lock icon at the right end of the row of the relevant learning item. This prevents learners from proceeding to this learning item before they've completed the previous one.
Locked learning items have a blue closed lock and unlocked items have a grey opened lock.
Learning items can't be locked in the following situations (the lock option isn't displayed):
- The learning item is the only learning item of the course.
- The learning item is the first item in the course content list or hidden.
You can lock all learning items (except for those that meet the criteria mentioned above) by selecting the lock icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- If an assessment is locked, users won't be able to continue with the learning items of the course until the learner's assessment is approved by a supervisor.
- We recommend checking the prerequisites after reordering and hiding/showing items as learning items automatically become unlocked in the following situations:
- A locked item is reordered and moved to the first place in the list.
- A locked item is hidden and then made visible again.
Hide learning items and make them invisible for learners
You can prevent learners from seeing specific learning items at the course home page by hiding them. To hide a learning item, select it, and from the Actions panel, choose the Hide action.
The visibility status is displayed in the column next to the item's title.
When hiding a learning item, a message will confirm that the item will no longer be visible or available to learners on the course home page or in the LMS365 player.
If a hidden learning item is required to progress or complete the course, learners will be unable to proceed with their progress of the course.
To make a hidden learning item visible, select the learning item, and from the Actions panel, select the Make Visible action.
Content management capabilities
The capabilities to manage course content differ depending on the type of the learning item.
To manage a learning item, select it from the list in the Content section and, from the opened Actions panel, select the relevant action.
Content of the free sample courses can't be edited. The Edit and Delete actions in the Actions panel will be unavailable.
With learning modules, you can:
- View Learners' Progress
- Edit Learning Module
- Hide Learning Module/Make Learning Module visible
- Delete Learning Module
With quizzes, you can:
- View learners' details
- Question statistics
- Edit quiz
- Hide quiz/Make quiz visible
- Remove quiz from course
With content packages, you can:
- View Learners' Details
- View Content Package
- Content Package Information
- Hide Content Package/Make Content Package Visible
- Remove Content Package from Course
With assessments, you can:
- View Learners' Details
- Edit Assessment
- Hide Assessment/Make Assessment Visible
- Delete Assessment
With external apps, you can:
- View Learners' Details
- Edit External App
- Hide External App/Make External App Visible
- Delete External App