LMS365 has an option for admins to control the enrollment flow for courses and training plans. This option helps course admins to regulate the number of students in a training and to control the list of participants. Depending on the selected enrollment flow, there will be differences in the enrollment procedure.
In this guide, we will describe the different types of enrollment flows and how to manage them.
Enrollment flow types
LMS365 includes the following enrollment flow types:
- Automatic Approval
- Line Manager Approval
- Administrator Approval
With Automatic Approval, learners are immediately registered in the training after selecting the enroll button on a course or training plan home page.
Line Manager Approval will require the line manager of the learner to approve the enrollment before the learner is enrolled in the training. Line manager for a user is specified in Azure AD.
On a course catalog level, the course catalog admin can configure which enrollment flow types that will be available for courses and training plans.
Where to manage enrollments
If there are courses or training plans with approve enrollment requests, the Pending Approval link (with the number of requests that are waiting for approval in brackets) will be displayed on the Training Management page.
On the Pending Approval link you will see the total number of enrollment requests that are pending approval. Courses and training plans with pending approval enrollment requests will also have a red exclamation mark next to the 'Name' column.
To manage enrollment requests from the Approve Enrollments panel:
- Go to the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > select Pending Approval in the navigation bar to open the list of all training with pending approval requests.
- Select a training and choose Approve Enrollments from the Course/Training Plan Management panel.
Approving/rejecting enrollment requests
Enrollment request can be approved or rejected:
- directly from the approval request notification the approver receives via email and Microsoft Teams (if the option is enabled);
- in the LMS365 Admin Center.
The difference is that from the notification, the course admin or line manager intuitively handles one enrollment request, whereas from the LMS365 Admin Center, the line manager or course admin can work with all enrollment request of a course or training plan at once.
Approving/rejecting via email notification and Teams
After a learner enrolls in a training with either a Line Manager Approval or Administrator Approval, the approver(s) receive an approval request an email notification and a Teams notification (if the option is enabled). This approval request notification contains information about the requester, training title and details and relevant links to approve or reject the enrollment request.
An example of the approval request notification the approver receives via email.
An example of the approval request notification the approver receives via Teams.
When the approver selects to approve the enrollment request the corresponding link redirects to the Enrollment Approval Confirmation page. This page provides information about the course type, its title (clickable link redirecting to the the training home page), name of the learner who requests for the enrollment approval. Also depending on the training settings the categories, ID, due date and contacts of the training can be displayed.
In Teams the Enrollment Approval Confirmation page opens in the Manage tab.
After clicking Approve the learner will be enrolled in the training and the Approve button will be replaced with the message: You have successfully approved the enrollment request.
When the approver selects to reject the enrollment request, the corresponding link redirects to the Enrollment Reject Confirmation page. This page provides information about the course type, its title (clickable link redirecting to the the training home page), name of the learner who requests for the enrollment approval. Also depending on the training settings the categories, ID, due date and contacts of the training can be displayed.
In Teams the Enrollment Reject Confirmation page opens in the Manage tab.
Type in the rejection reason to activate the Reject button. After the rejection i done, the Reject button will be replaced with the message: You have successfully rejected the enrollment request, and the learner will receive the Reject Confirmation notification where this rejection reason will be displayed.
Approving/rejecting via the LMS365 Admin Center
Enrollment requests with a Pending Approval status can be approved or rejected in the LMS365 Admin Center. When you select Approve Enrollments from the Training Management panel, a panel folds out. Here you can manage enrollments.
Per default, only the list of learners with pending approval status is shown.
After you select learner(s) from the Approve Enrollments panel, the Approve and Reject buttons will become active.
- To approve the enrollment request, select the checkbox(es) next to the relevant request(s) and select Approve. The enrollment status will be changed to Enrolled and the learner(s) will be enrolled into the course.
- To reject the enrollment request, select the checkbox(es) next to the needed request(s) and select Reject. The Reject Message box will appear. Enter the reason for rejecting the enrollment request and select the Reject button to reject the enrollment request or the Close button to discard the action.
You can select the enrollment status to be displayed from the drop-down list which placement differs slightly depending on the training type:
- For e-Learning courses, Instructor-Led Training courses with the Enroll user into all course sessions enrollment type and training plans, the Pending Approval button (with the drop-down list of enrollment statuses) is the first in the toolbar, right under the enrollment flow type.
- For Instructor-Led Training courses with the Enroll user into a single course session enrollment type, the Pending Approval button (with the drop-down list of enrollment statuses) is the second in the toolbar, to the right of the session start date and time information.
For Instructor-Led Training courses the Enroll user into a single course session enrollment type, you can find information about the start date and time, instructor’s name, session room, as well as sessions with pending approval requests (marked with a red warning sign) from the drop-down list at the top left corner showing start date of the sessions.
You can employ filters to see, respectively, the list of learners of All Enrollment Statuses, learners with a Pending Approval, learners who are Enrolled, and learners whose enrollment have been Rejected or Cancelled (multiple selection is not possible).
The Approve Enrollments panel provides the following information (the list is full for All Enrollment Statuses and may differ for other enrollment statuses):
Enrollment Flow - displays the training enrollment flow.
Name - Displays learner's name.
Email - Displays learner’s email.
Department - Displays the learner's department (information is taken from the SharePoint User Information List).
Line Manager - Displays users who are specified as line managers in Azure Active Directory.
Enrollment Status - Displays the status of the enrollment request:
- Enrolled - The learner has been enrolled in the training.
- Pending Approval - The learner has requested enrollment in the training with either the Line Manager Approval or Administrator Approval enrollment flow, and the enrollment request is awaiting approval.
- Cancelled - The learner has cancelled the enrollment request before it was approved or rejected, or the learner has unenrolled from the training. Possible reasons of the cancellation are described in the Cancellation messages section.
- Rejected - The line manager or course admin has rejected the learner’s enrollment request. A tooltip at the Rejected status shows the reason of the rejection stated by the admin in the rejection message sent to the learner(s).
Last Modified - Date and time when the enrollment request has been modified last (according to the regional settings of the current site).
Modified by column - Displays the user who has last modified the enrollment request.
A tooltip at the cancelled status contains the reason of the cancellation:
1. If the learner unenrolls from the training, the tooltip on the Cancelled status will show the text from the cancellation message written by the learner.
2. If the training is retaken by the learner - this is stated in the tooltip.
3. If the learner unenrolls from a training plan and as a result unenrolling from the courses inside this training plan - those courses on the Approve Enrollments panel will have a Cancelled status with a tooltip "Cancelled via Training Plan".
Exporting enrollment request information
To export the enrollment requests information to Excel, select the Export to Excel button. An Excel document will automatically be downloaded to your local computer.