This article provides you with an overview of how to build, manage, edit, and delete learning modules using the LMS365 Learning Module Builder.
The article will cover where and how to create a new learning module, what types of files that can be part of a learning module, and how to manage learning module content.
Watch the video below or scroll through the article (more details in the article).
Introduction to the Learning Module Builder and learning modules
LMS365 Learning Modules allows you to include documents, videos, SCORM/AICC packages, and other content in courses and organize this content in a selection of learning modules that will divide the training into sequenced learning steps.
The modules will be a part of a course and will appear on the course home page where the learner can get an overview of learning modules in a course and access the learning content within them.
The LMS365 Learning Module Builder is a tool that allows you to create these learning modules and manage the content within them.
Creating Learning Modules
To create a new learning module, follow the steps:
1) In the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > select the relevant course and on the Course Management panel:
- go to the Manage Course Content to be redirected directly to the course Content section.
- go to the Edit Course, Manage Course Settings or Manage People to be redirected to the Basic Details, Settings or People section respectively and then navigate to the Content section of the editing panel.
In all of these cases, the course editing panel will open.
2) To add a new learning module to a course, select Add Learning Item and then Create Learning Module.
The Create Learning Module option is only available for courses that are created. Until the course is created, the option will be inactive. To enable the option, simply create the course.
The Create Learning Module page will open. Fill in the fields and add content items to the learning module by dragging and dropping them from the box to the left to the Learning Module Editor to the right.
Title and description
Title - Enter the name of the learning module.
Description - Enter a description of the learning module. The description will be displayed to learners when they start the learning module to engage with the learning.
Publishing status and dates
Published - When the learning module is published, it's available for learners. You will see Yes if the learning module is published in the Published column and No if it isn't.
Start Date - Select the date and time the learning module will be published and available for learners.
End Date - Select the date and time for when the learning module will be unpublished and unavailable for learners.
Adding content to learning modules
Select the type of content to be added to the learning module and drag it to the Learning Module Editor in the box at the right side of the page.
When you drag an item to the Learning Module Editor, it's removed from the list of documents. You can drag it back or select the Delete icon to return it. This will not delete the document from the library, but only remove it from the editor field. If you delete an embedded video from the Learning Module Editor, it will be removed and is not stored.
Use drag and drop to reorder the list of added items.
When you are done creating or editing the learning module, select Save to save your changes or Cancel to discard them.
Editing learning modules
To edit a learning module, please follow the steps below:
In the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > select the relevant course and then Manage Course Content > choose the learning module you want to edit and, from the Actions panel, select Edit Learning Module.
Edit the value in the relevant fields or the content items.
Select Save to save your changes.
Editing content items in the Learning Module Editor
In the LMS365 Admin Center, select the relevant course > Manage Course Content > select the learning module to edit > from the Actions panel, select Edit Learning Module.
From the Learning Module Editor, you can:
- Reorder the items by drag and drop.
- Edit some of the existing learning items directly inside the Learning Module Editor by selecting the Edit icon. Other items can only be deleted by selecting the Bin icon.
To add new learning items to the learning module, drag and drop the items to the Learning Module Editor.
Please Save the changes or Cancel if you wish to discard your edits.
Managing learning modules in the course
Reordering learning modules
You can reorder the learning items by drag and drop in the Content section of the course configuration panel.
Hiding learning modules
To hide a learning module in the course:
From the Content section of the course edit panel, select the relevant learning module > from the Actions panel, select Hide Learning Module.
A confirmation message will notify that the learning item will no longer be visible or available for learners on the course home page and in the course syllabus.
If a hidden item is required to progress or complete the course, learners are unable to progress or complete the course.
Hidden learning modules will have the Make Learning Module Visible option available on the Actions panel.
Deleting learning modules
You can delete a learning module via the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > select the relevant course > Manage Course Content > select the relevant learning module and from the Actions panel, choose Delete Learning Module.
Deleting a learning module can't be undone.
A confirmation message will notify that you are going to delete a learning module. Select Delete to confirm the action or Cancel to discard.
Viewing and Deleting Learners' Progress on a learning module
To view the learner's progress details on the learning module of the unenrolled learners, admin must re-enroll them in the course.
To view the detailed progress of the enrolled learners on the learning module, follow the steps:
1) In the LMS365 Admin Center, select the course.
2) On the Course Management panel, select Manage Course Content.
3) In the Content section, select the relevant learning module.
4) On the Actions panel, select View Learners' Progress.
The View Learners' Progress action opens the learning module progress panel with the following information on the enrolled in the course learners and actions to perform:
- The Export to Excel button allows to download the report in the Excel on all or a selected learner's progress details on the learning module to your local device.
- The Name column displays the name of the enrolled in the course learner.
- The All Statuses drop-down filter allows to filter learners by their status: All Statuses, Not Started, In Progress, Failed, and Completed.
- The Status column displays learner’s progress status: Not Started, In Progress, Completed, or Failed.
- The Completion % column displays the percentage of completion progress of the individual learner.
- The Completed column displays the date and time when the learning module was completed.
To View Learner's Progress in details on each item of the learning module for the individual learner:
1) Select the name of the relevant learner in the Name column.
2) On the Actions panel select View Learner's Progress.
3) The View Learner’s Progress action opens the list of learning module items and the learner’s progress on each of them:
- The crossed icon means the learner has failed the learning module item.
- The check icon means the learner has completed the learning module item.
- The circle icon means the learner has not completed the learning module item.
- The recycle bin icon means the learning module item has been deleted.
- If a content package or a quiz, being a part of the learning module, was removed from the course in the Content section after the learner had completed or failed it, the learner's progress will be displayed, but the learning item will be greyed out.
On the Actions panel, the View Learner’s Progress and Delete Learner’s Progress actions will be disabled for learners with the Not Started status.
Deleting Learner's Progress from a learning module
To Delete Learner's Progress from a learning module for the individual learner:
1) Select the name of the relevant learner in the Name column.
2) On the Actions panel select Delete Learner's Progress.
3) In the confirmation message, confirm the action by selecting Delete. To cancel the action, select Cancel.
After the learner's last attempt has been deleted, the learner's status on the learning modules will be changed to Not Started.
Learning Module Builder language
The language of the Learning Module Builder can be set and customized in LMS365 Global Settings > Language Files. Please find details of this process here.