From the LMS Configuration section of the Global Settings, Microsoft 365 global administrators and LMS administrators can manage the general, global configurations of:
- Columns of the Users panel.
- Access to learner details.
- Training targeting in course catalogs.
- Integration connectors.
- Currency that will be used to register internal costs for sessions.
- Line management settings.
- New features in preview.
These settings will affect all course catalogs of the tenant. In this guide, we will walk you through these general LMS configurations of LMS365.
Image of the global LMS Configuration. Please note that these configurations are only displayed in two columns when in full screen size mode on web pages.
Columns of the Users panel
LMS365 allows you to configure the columns on the Users page for all the catalog(s) on your tenant. You can show and hide LMS365 System columns, as well as add new column(s), to display custom data for your Users.
In the Users Columns section, you can change the view columns of the Users of сourse сatalogs. For example, add new columns as well as manage columns generated by the LMS365 system.
The default Users columns are specified as LMS365 System columns in the Description column and have the following titles: Display Name, User is in Course Catalog, Email, Job Title, Manager, Department, Office, City, Country, Company.
In the Users Columns section, you can add a new column, edit an existing one, or delete one. From the course catalog Users page, you can select which columns created via Users Columns are to be displayed, configure their order, and edit their titles.
On the Users Columns page, you can sort by any column and use the Search field, which runs on titles and description, to find the column you want to edit or delete.
To add new columns to the Users panel:
1) Select Add a Column.
2) Fill in the fields in the Add a Column form:
- Title—Enter the name of the column. The field is required.
- Type—Choose the preferred data type of the column from the drop-down list. The data type can't be changed after the column is created. The default data type is string (displays the text information, for example, a job title). Other available data types are: Boolean (the value can only be either Yes or No), number (numerals), date (date format). The field is required.
- Description—Enter description of the column. The description will be visible on the Users Columns page only in the Description column and can help to find the relevant column via the Search field.
- Visibility—Define if the column is visible or hidden on the Users panel by dragging the On/Off toggle. When disabled, this column will be hidden from the Users panel in the course catalog(s). You can re-enable it later, no data will be lost.
3) Save to finish the creation or Cancel to discard.
It is possible to create a duplicate of an existing column.
To edit a column in the Users panel:
1) Select the column you would like to edit and then, in the Actions panel, select Edit Column.
2) On the Edit Column panel, make the required changes.
Depending on the way the column was created, different options are available on the Edit Column panel:
- For the LMS365 System columns
- The Title, Type, and Description textboxes can't be edited because they are disabled (greyed out).
- You can enable or disable the Visibility option. When disabled, this column is hidden from the Users panel in the course catalog(s). You can re-enable it later and no data will be lost.
- The Custom Synchronization toggle is available for all the LMS365 System Columns, except for User is in Course Catalog and Manager.
By dragging the toggle to On, you enable the custom synchronization, and you can overwrite the data in this column. Once enabled, LMS365 will no longer synchronize the data from Microsoft Azure Active Directory, and you can populate the column from your own data source.
- For the custom columns created by administrators in your organization
You can edit Title, Description, and Visibility. The data type in Type can't be edited.
3) Select Save to save the changes or Cancel to close the panel without saving.
To delete a column from the Users panel:
1) Select the relevant column and then, from the Actions panel, Delete Column.
2) A confirmation message will inform you that the column and all the information it contains will be deleted from the database, as well as from the Users panel. The deletion can't be undone.
LMS365 System columns can't be deleted. The Delete Column action is disabled (greyed out) for them.
Access to learner details
LMS365 allows you to control access to certain details about learners’ training activities. This can be relevant due to your organization's privacy requirements.
Under the Access to Learner Details section, you can limit access for line managers and course administrators to the following learner details:
- Learner’s score on activities.
- Number of attempts the learner has made to complete an activity.
- Time the learner has spent to complete an activity.
To restrict access to this data:
1) Disable the ability for either line managers, course administrators, or both by turning the toggle off.
The Access to Full Learner Details for Line Managers option gives possibility to prevent line managers from viewing learners' number of attempts, detailed scores, and time spent on activities.
2) The Access to Full Learner Details for Course Administrator option gives possibility to hide the learners' number of attempts, detailed scores, and time spent on activities for course administrators.
3) Select Save.
For more detailed information about the data that line managers and course administrators will no longer be able to view, please see this guide with details on access to learner details.
Training targeting in course catalogs
Courses and training plans can be targeted towards a defined audience and only be displayed to this audience in course catalogs. This, however, requires that the Course Targeting option is enabled in the global settings of LMS365.
By default, the Course Targeting option is turned off. This is due to the fact that enabling Course Targeting will reduce the performance of course catalogs slightly, as all courses will be filtered based on the user’s permissions.
This means that all users with access to a course catalog by default will see all training in it - despite audience settings of individual courses/training plans - until this setting is changed. However, the access to the training will still depend on the target audience specified for the training (if there is any, if not, everyone from the course catalog can access the training and enroll in it).
You enable course and training plan targeting under the Course Targeting section.
After you have enabled course targeting, users will only see courses and training plans that are targeted to them in course catalogs.
Course and training plan targeting can be managed during the training creation process.
Integrating LMS365 with other applications and data sources allows all learning in your organization to be found from one single interface. Depending on the platform, connectors can be used to receive data, send, or both.
LMS365 can be integrated with Microsoft Viva Learning. You can find out more about integration with Microsoft Viva Learning in this article.
Currency that will be used to register internal costs for sessions
Under the Internal Cost Currency section, you can configure the currency that will be used to register the internal cost of session-based learning.
The internal cost per learner depends on the total number of learners in the session. It's calculated as the division of the internal cost for the session by the number of learners with registered attendance. For learners, whose attendance was marked as absent or absent (informed) the cost will not be calculated.
To specify or change the currency:
1) Select the relevant currency from the drop-down list.
2) Select Save.
- The default currency is the United States Dollar (USD). If you change the currency, the already registered or entered cost will not be recalculated. The only difference will be in the currency symbol.
- Once you have selected the currency, its symbol will appear next to the Internal Cost field on the edit or create new course session panel across all the course sessions on all the course catalogs within the tenant.
To build the reports, you can use Microsoft Power BI following these steps.
Line management settings
Under the Line Management Settings section, you can configure your line managers' access to, and the scope of the features available in, the Line Manager Dashboard. From the Line Management Settings panel, enable the relevant option.
With the Show Line Manager Dashboard option, you can manage the link to the Line Manager Dashboard for the whole tenant from My Training Dashboard. If you enable this option by dragging the toggle to On, users will see the link to the Line Manager Dashboard on My Training Dashboard.
If this option is disabled, users won't see this link. Moreover, the next Manage Enrollments and Training Records option will also be deactivated.
The Manage Enrollments and Training Records option enables line managers to manage the enrollment and unenrollment of learners, manage competencies, and import external training records via the Line Manager Dashboard.
Save your changes. Select Cancel to close the panel without saving changes.
New features in preview
The New Features section is only displayed when there are new or upcoming features in LMS365 that can be enabled in preview mode for testing purpose.