If you use Microsoft Teams meetings for online sessions, this article explains the prerequisites and how to create sessions that are held online. This needs to be done for each course catalog of the tenant.
Required role: catalog admin.
To be able to create Microsoft Teams meetings from course sessions, the Enable LMS365 to send email notifications, book Rooms, and create meeting invitations option must be toggled On for the course catalog in the Catalog settings.
When the Enable LMS365 to send email notifications, book Rooms, and create meeting invitations option is toggled Off, Microsoft Teams meetings for sessions can't be created because the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is disabled on the session configuration panel.
Organizer of Microsoft Teams meetings that are created from LMS365 sessions
An email account is needed for email delivery, the booking of rooms, and to create and send Teams meeting invitations. LMS365 uses the email account of the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user for this.
For Teams meetings that are booked from LMS365 sessions, this means that the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user is the organizer.
For participants who are joining these sessions, this means:
- When participants belong to the same organization as the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user, they can join the sessions and Teams meetings without approval.
- When participants from external organizations join the sessions and Teams meetings, they wait in the lobby until someone from the organization lets them in. However, the waiting room lobby can be avoided by configuring organization-wide Teams settings to enable external users to bypass the lobby of Microsoft Teams meetings.
A Teams meeting is an appointment with additional properties stored in a user's personal calendar folder. The Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user is the organizer of Teams meetings created in LMS365 sessions for the following reasons:
- Imagine that LMS365 creates appointments in an instructor's calendar. LMS365 session-based training can have zero, one, or more instructors. If there aren't any instructors, it wouldn't be possible to create an appointment. If there are two instructors, it wouldn't be possible to determine the owner of the created appointment. If we replace one instructor with another, we'd have to recreate appointments and the appointments would be updated in the calendars of all enrolled users. Also, to be able to access the personal calendars of users, the app would have to request consent from each instructor when logging in.
- It isn't possible to create a meeting in a user's calendar and then define another user as the meeting organizer. Additionally, it isn't possible to create an appointment in the calendar of the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user and set another custom user as the organizer.
Microsoft Teams enables the organizer to view and generate downloadable Teams attendance reports when they join the meeting. To be able to download attendance reports for meetings generated by the LMS365, use the organizer account configured in the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings when logging in to Microsoft Teams.
Create Microsoft Teams meetings from sessions
Required role: catalog admin or course admin.
Admins can create a Teams meeting in the Sessions section of the course configuration panel.
To create an online meeting in Microsoft Teams from a course session:
1. Go to the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > select a course to open its Course management panel.
2. On the Course management panel, select the Manage Course Sessions link. The Sessions section of the course configuration panel opens.
3. In the Sessions section, select either to create a new session, or select an existing one and on the opened Actions panel, select Edit course session. Both of these actions open the session configuration panel.
4. On the session configuration panel, toggle the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option to On.
The Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is disabled when:
- Modern authorization with outdated consent is used.
- Notifications are disabled in Microsoft 365 Connection Settings.
When the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is toggled Off, you can enter the URL of the session meeting.
When the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is toggled On, the Meeting URL is automatically generated when the session is saved and can't be edited.
- The Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option doesn't affect learners' enrollment and registration.
- If you edit an existing session and toggle the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option Off, a message notifies you that all enrolled users will receive an appointment cancellation notification and a new appointment invitation after the session is saved.
- If the "Oops, something went wrong" message is displayed, this could be cause by the license assignment process. If the connected account was recently created, hasn't been connected to LMS365 before, and has recently had a license applied for Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Teams, then it can take up to 24 hours to complete the license assignment. This error disappear once the license assignment is completed.
After a Teams meeting is created
Once a Microsoft Teams meeting is created, users can see the course invitation in both Teams and Outlook calendars and they can join the meeting directly from the invitation.
Shared calendar in Outlook