If you use Microsoft Teams meetings for online sessions, this article makes it clear how to create sessions that are held online. This is to be done for each course catalog of the tenant.
Required role: course catalog admin.
To be able to create Microsoft Teams meetings from course sessions, the Enable LMS365 to send email notifications, book Rooms, and create meeting invitations option must be toggled On for the course catalog.
When the Enable LMS365 to send email notifications, book Rooms, and create meeting invitations option is toggled Off, you can't create Microsoft Teams meetings for sessions as the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is disabled on the session configuration panel.
Organizer of Microsoft Teams meetings created from LMS365 sessions
An email account is needed for email delivery, booking of rooms, and to create and send Teams meeting invitations. LMS365 uses the email account of the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user for this.
For Teams meetings that are booked from LMS365 sessions this means that the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user is the organizer.
For the participants that are joining these sessions this means the following:
- When participants belong to the same organization as the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user, they can join the sessions and Teams meetings without approval.
- When participants from external organizations are joining the sessions and Teams meetings, they wait in the lobby until someone from the organization lets them in. However, the waiting room lobby can be avoided by configuring organization wide Teams settings to enable external users to bypass the lobby of Microsoft Teams meetings.
A Teams meeting is an appointment with additional properties stored in a user's personal calendar folder. The Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user is the organizer of Teams meetings created in LMS365 sessions for the following reasons:
- Let's imagine that LMS365 creates appointments inside of the instructor's calendar. As we know, LMS365 session based training can have multiple to zero instructors. If there are zero instructors, we wouldn't be able to create an appointment. If we have two instructors, we wouldn't be able to decide who will own the created appointment. If we replace one instructor with another, we would have to recreate appointments and the appointments would be updated in the calendars of all enrolled users. Also, the app would have to request each instructor for consent upon login, to be able to access those users' personal calendars.
- It isn't possible to create a meeting in a user's calendar and then have another user defined as meeting organizer. This means that it isn't also possible to create an appointment in the calendar of the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user and set another custom user as organizer.
Create Microsoft Teams meetings from sessions
Required role: course catalog admin or course admin.
Admins are able to create a Teams meeting in the Sessions section of the course configuration panel.
To create an online meeting in Microsoft Teams from the course session:
1. In the LMS365 Admin Center select a course to open its Course Management panel.
2. On the Course Management panel, select Manage Course Sessions link.
3. In the Sessions section, select either to edit an existing session or to create a new one. The session configuration panel opens.
4. On the session configuration panel, toggle the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option to On.
The Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is disabled when:
- Modern authorization with outdated consent is used.
- Notifications are disabled in Microsoft 365 Connection Settings.
When the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is toggled Off, you can enter your URL for the session meeting.
When the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is toggled On, the Meeting URL is automatically generated when the session is saved but the Meeting URL field becomes unavailable for editing.
- The Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option doesn't affect learners' enrollment.
- If you edit an existing session and toggle Off the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option, you get a message notifying that all enrolled users will receive an appointment cancellation notification and a new appointment invitation after the session is saved.
- If get an error message "Oops, something went wrong", the reason of this may be in the license assignment process. When the connected account is recently created and hasn't been connected to LMS365 before, and has a license with Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Teams products recently added, then it can take up to 24 hours to finish the license assignment. The error is to disappear after the license assignment is completed.
After a Teams meeting is created
After a Microsoft Teams meeting is created, users can see course invitation both in Teams and Outlook calendars and join the meeting directly from the invitation.