If you use Microsoft Teams meetings for online sessions, this article makes it clear how to create new sessions that are held online. Admins are able to create a Teams meeting in the course Sessions section during creation or editing of course sessions.
As this action requires a new level of permissions for the LMS365 product, a Microsoft 365 global admin has to once accept the changed LM365 permissions from their tenant for this capability to be enabled.
In the LMS365 Admin Center go to Catalog Setting > Notifications > Microsoft 365 Connection Settings.
On the opened Microsoft 365 Connection Settings panel, drag the toggle to enable the feature Enable LMS365 to send email notifications, book Rooms, and create meeting invitations.
An additional consent is required to use Microsoft Graph API for LMS365 to create and book Microsoft Teams meetings for sessions (only for outdated consent that needs update and only once).
If Enable LMS365 to send email notifications, book Rooms, and create meeting invitations feature is off, you will not be able to use Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option and will see the validation message.
More detailed information on enabling LMS365 to send email notifications, book rooms, and create meeting invitations you can find in the article LMS365 Notifications: Overview and Management.
Organizer of Microsoft Teams meetings created from LMS365 sessions
An email account is needed for email delivery, booking of rooms, and to create and send Teams meeting invitations. LMS365 uses the email account of the Microsoft 365 Connection Settings user for this.
For Teams meetings that are booked from LMS365 sessions this means that the Microsoft 365 Connection user will be the organizer.
This means the following for participants that are joining these sessions:
- When participants belong to the same organization as the Microsoft 365 Connection user, they can join the sessions/Teams meetings without approval.
- When participants from external organizations are joining the sessions/Teams meetings, they will wait in the lobby until someone from the organization will let them in. However, the waiting room lobby can be avoided by configuring organization wide Teams settings to allow external users to be able to bypass the lobby of Microsoft Teams meetings.
A Teams meeting is an appointment with additional properties stored in a user's personal calendar folder. The Microsoft 365 Connection user is the organizer of Teams meetings created via LMS365 sessions for the following reasons:
- Let's imagine that LMS365 creates appointments inside of the instructor's calendar. As we know, LMS365 session based training can have multiple to zero instructors. If there are zero instructors, we wouldn't be able to create an appointment. If we have two instructors, we wouldn't be able to decide who will own the created appointment. If we replace one instructor with another, we would have to recreate appointments and the appointments would be updated in the calendars of all enrolled users. Also, the app would have to request each instructor for consent upon login, to be able to access those users' personal calendars.
- It is not possible to create a meeting in a user's calendar and then have another user defined as meeting organizer. This means that it is also not possible to create an appointment in the calendar of the Microsoft 365 Connection user and set another custom user as organizer.
Creating Microsoft Teams meetings directly from a session
To create an online meeting in Microsoft Teams from the course session, follow the steps:
1) On the Course Management Panel of the selected course, click the Manage Course Sessions link.
2) Under the Sessions section, select either to edit an existing session or to create a new.
3) On the opened sidebar, enable the option Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting.
The option Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting is disabled when:
- Classic authorization is used.
- Modern authorization with outdated consent is used.
- Notifications are disabled in Microsoft Connection Settings
To check the settings, go to the LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Notifications > Microsoft 365 Connection Settings.
If the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is on, the Meeting URL will be automatically generated when the session is saved. In this case, the Meeting URL field becomes disabled.
- The Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option does not affect learners' enrollment.
- If you edit an existing session and disable the option Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting, you will see a message notifying that all enrolled users will receive an appointment cancellation notification and a new appointment invitation.
When a Microsoft Teams meeting is created
When a Teams meeting is created, users can see course invitation both in Teams and Outlook calendars and join the meeting directly from the invitation.