In this article we provide you with an overview of creating sessions in LMS365 and their management. In this guide you can find out where and how to create sessions for Instructor-Led Training courses, and overview of the session page with its filtering and searching options, management actions available for sessions: register attendance, edit, delete or copy course sessions, manage and message learners, download a QR Code for attendance tracking.
Where to create and manage sessions
Sessions can be added to the Instructor-Led Training courses two ways: during course creation or to the existing course.
To add sessions during course creation, follow the steps:
1) On the Create Training panel, under the Basic Details section, select the Instructor-Led Training course type. If you omit this stage, the Sessions section will not appear on the the Create Training panel.
2) Navigate to the Sessions section.
3) Select the Create New Session button.
To add sessions to the existing course, follow the steps:
1) In the Admin Center, go to the Course List.
2) Select the course to add sessions.
3) On the opened Course Management panel, select the Manage Course Sessions link.
4) On the opened Sessions section, select the Create New Course Session button.
Creating a session
To create a new course session:
1) Click the Create New Course Session button.
2) Fill in the opened form to create (or edit) a session. The fields marked with an asterisk * are required.
3) Select the Save button to create or update the course session.
Start and End Dates
Fill in the fields with the date and time of the session. Learners will see these details on the course home page.
Start Date – select the start date and time of the training.
End Date – select the end date and time of the training.
The Start and End dates of the session must be set within the course publishing dates.
The Time Zone field is mandatory. In the Time Zone drop-down menu, select the relevant time zone for the session to be conducted.
By default, it is set according to the Regional settings of the current site.
The Enrollment Deadline field for each session is available for trainings with Single course session enrollment type during creating or editing sessions.
For the training with All course sessions enrollment type, you can set the Enrollment Deadline for the whole training under the course Basic Details section, but not for the particular sessions.
The Enrollment Deadline field is not mandatory and empty per default.
Fill in this field to set the time limit for learners to be able to enroll into the session. Learners will not be able to enroll after the deadline you select.
This option does not influence admins capabilities to manage learner enrollment.
More detailed information can be found in the Enrollment Deadline article.
Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option
Drag the toggle to let Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting.
By letting LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting, participants will see the invitation to the scheduled meeting in their Microsoft Teams app calendar. They can join the session directly from Microsoft Teams.
If the toggle is on, the Meeting URL will be automatically generated when the session is saved.
At this time, the Meeting URL field is disabled.
Detailed information on the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option can be found in the article Creating Microsoft Teams meetings directly from Instructor-Led Training sessions.
1) The Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is disabled when:
- Classic authorization is used.
- Modern authorization with outdated consent is used.
- Notifications are disabled in Microsoft 365 Connection Settings.
To check the authorization, go to LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Notifications > Microsoft 365 Connection Settings.
2) The Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option will send notifications only when the session-based training scheduled notifications are enabled. To check the notifications enabled, go to LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Notifications.
The Meeting URL field is the field where the meeting URL is specified.
The Meeting URL field is required.
The meeting URL will be available for learners on the course home page, on My Training Dashboard, in the calendar invitations, in the email invitations and notifications, in the mobile app notifications. By clicking it, learner can join directly the training meeting.
If the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is on, the Meeting URL will be automatically generated when the session is saved.
If the Let LMS365 schedule the Teams meeting option is off, the Meeting URL must be manually entered.
You will not be able to save the session if the Meeting URL field is empty. In this case, you will see the notification "The field is required".
The Room field is optional for Instructor-Led Training courses and is used for sessions with physical attendance of learners.
There are two ways to add a room to the meeting:
1) Type in the room in the Room field. The room added in such a way exists only for the current session, is not created in LMS365 Exchange Online and does not have any additional information (location, max. attendees).
2) Add the room from the Room List created in Microsoft 365 Connection Settings.
a)To select the room form the list, click the Select Room link under the field. The maximum number of rooms displayed on the Room list is 100. The article Creating and configuring rooms for Instructor-Led Training sessions contains more detailed information.
b) The Select Room panel opens.
Here, the rooms will be displayed according to user's permissions to the Room List.
The date specified in the calendar above the list of the rooms is the session dates and time. You may filter the date rage by clicking the calendar icon and check rooms availability on other dates.
The Select Room panel consists of the columns:
- Title – displays the title of the room (specified whilst its creation).
- Location – displays the location of the room (specified whilst its creation).
- Is Free – if the room is vacant during the start and end period, it is marked as 'Yes'. If it is occupied during this period, it is marked as 'No' and is impossible to select.
c) Select the room and Save to add the room to the session.
To see the Room List created in LMS365 Exchange Online, you have to configure rooms access account first. For more details, see the article LMS365 notifications: overview and management. If Microsoft 365 Connection Settings are not set or you do not have enough permissions to the room, you will see a validation message.
If a room is changed whilst course or session editing, the previous room reservation will be cancelled. Leaners will receive an updated appointment in their calendars.
When attendees are changed, only those added or removed from the Instructor-Led Training event, will receive email notifications.
This field is not mandatory.
The Max. Attendees field is available only for the session based trainings with the Enroll user into a single course session. Fill in the number of maximum attendees of this session. The value in the filed must be positive integer.
In the Instructor(s) field, specify the users who will be responsible for this definite course session. You can choose from internal users or guests who were invited to the site collection.
The instructors names will be visible on the course home page.
Instructors have access to the course and to all the sessions they are assigned in. They can register attendance, download QR code for attendance, and print the attendance sign-in sheet. Once the instructors are assigned, they receive the corresponding email with the session information.
Instructors will be notified on assignment or unassignment as an instructor via an email message. If changes are introduced to a course session's location, start or end date & time, time zone, meeting URL, or the training course title, instructor will receive the updated email notification(s). Once the course or session is deleted, they will receive the cancellation of appointment notification.
In the Internal Cost field, set the internal expenses per session. The currency symbol is specified on the right side.
To ensure consistency within all summaries and calculations across all the Courses and Course Catalogs, the internal cost of all Course Sessions will be registered in the same currency.
The cost is calculated only for the learners with the registered attendance. For the learners whose attendance was marked as absent or absent (informed) the cost will not be calculated. The internal cost per learner depends on the total number of learners on the session. It is calculated as the division of the internal cost for the session by a number of learners with the registered attendance.
The default currency is the United States dollar (USD), but the LMS administrator can manage it in the Global Settings area.
In the Session Information field, specify additional information on the session, if required.
Learners will see this information on the course home page clicking the Additional Information link.
Allow learners to register their own Attendance via the LMS365 Mobile App
To Allow learners to register their own Attendance via the LMS365 Mobile App, drag the toggle On.
You can specify the time period learners can register their attendance in the fields:
- Allow Attendance registration from – select the start date and time to set attendance.
- Allow Attendance registration until – select the end date and time to set attendance.
By default, the time to register attendance is equal to the start and end time of the session.
The detailed information on the learners' attendance self-registration to the sessions can be found here.
QR Code is required
To enable learners to register their attendance via the LMS365 mobile app by scanning QR code, enable the option QR Code is required.
The detailed information on the learners' attendance self-registration to the sessions via QR code can be found here.
Signature is required
To enable learners to register their attendance via the LMS365 mobile app via providing their signature, enable the option Signature is required.
The detailed information on the learners' attendance self-registration to the sessions by signature provision can be found here.
Sessions section overview
To manage course sessions, go to the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > select an Instructor-Led Training course > Course Management panel > Manage Course Sessions > Sessions section on the course editing panel.
The sessions information is specified in the columns, where you can apply the arrow filtering for quicker search.
Start/End Date columns – Displays start and end date and time of the session.
Time Zone – Displays session’s time zone.
Location – Displays the title session URL, the room number.
Max. attendees - Displays the number of maximum attendees set for the session on courses with Enroll user into a single course session enrollment type only.
Instructor(s) - Displays the instructor(s) assigned to the session.
The notification area may contain the following information:
- For courses with Enroll user into all course session enrollment type - the number of remaining available places out of total number.
- The enrollment deadline information, if it was set.
The All Instructors button.
The All Instructors button allows sessions filtering according to the assigned instructor. Per default, the filtering is All Instructors.
In case no instructors are assigned, the filter will have the default All Instructors only.
Print Attendance Sign-in Sheet
The Print Attendance Sign-in Sheet button allows course admins and instructors to print out the attendance sign-in sheet.
The button Print Attendance Sign-in Sheet will be disabled:
- During course creation.
- On the edit mode of the existing course if no sessions are listed.
When you select the Print Attendance Sign-in Sheet button, the following actions are possible:
- For courses with Enroll user into all course session enrollment type, the Word.doc file with all sessions sign-in sheets will be automatically downloaded. In the downloaded file, there will be separate attendance sheets for each session of the course.
- For courses with Enroll user into a single course session enrollment type, a sidebar with the list of course sessions will open. By default no session is selected and the Print All button is available at the page bottom.
In the list, you can select sessions and click Print at page bottom (number of selected sessions will be shown in brackets on the Print button). The Attendance Sign-in Sheet for the selected session(s) will be downloaded.
The Attendance Sign-in Sheet contains the fields with the session information.
- Course – displays course name.
- Start/End Date – displays start/end date and time of the session.
- Time Zone – displays session’s time zone.
- Location – displays the room and its location or the meeting URL.
- Delivered by – displays the name of the session instructor.
- Date – displays the date of the Attendance Sign-in Sheet generation.
- Name – displays names of learners enrolled in the session for courses with Enroll user into a single course session enrollment type; displays names of learners enrolled in the course for courses with Enroll user into all course session enrollment type.
- Signature – contains the signatures provided by learner, if learners were enabled to register their attendance via the MLS365 mobile app and signature was required. Otherwise, the field is empty.
Session Actions panel
Depending on the course enrollment type and session settings, the management actions for a selected session can be the following: register attendance, edit, delete or copy course sessions, manage and message learners, download a QR Code for attendance tracking.
The Manage Learners link is not displayed on the actions panel if the Enroll user into all course sessions enrollment type was set at course creation.
From the Actions panel of a session, it is only possible to register attendance for sessions with present or past start dates. It's impossible to register attendance for sessions scheduled for future start dates. In this case, the Register Attendance link will be disabled.
To set learners' attendance for a session, course admin or instructor selects a session and the Register Attendance button on the Actions panel.
On the opened Register Attendance panel, select the learner(s) and the Register Attendance button in the left bottom corner will become clickable.
When you click it, select the relevant value from the drop-down list: 100%, 75%, 50% or 25% , Absent (informed), and Absent. The selected value will be immediately applied.
Once attendance is set, it will be displayed on the Course Progress as well as on the Learner’s Progress panels.
The Register Attendance panel contains the following information:
- Name – Displays learner’s name.
- Username – Displays learner’s email.
- Department – Displays the department where learner works (information is taken from user list).
- Manager – Displays the user who are specified as a manager in Azure AD.
- Attendance – If it is registered, displays learner’s attendance. If attendance is not registered, this field remains empty.
- Modified by – Displays the user who was the last to modify attendance.
- Last Modified – Displays date and time when the attendance has been modified last (according to the regional settings of the current site).
When admins register learner’s attendance:
- for courses with Enroll user into a single course session enrollment type, the completion date will be the end date of the session in which the learner's attendance has been registered;
for courses with Enroll user into all course session enrollment type, the completion date will be the end date of the latest session among all the sessions where the learner's attendance has been registered (not the date of attendance registration).
Once minimum required course completion criteria are met, course is marked as completed for user. Subsequent registration of user attendance will not change the completion date.
To download the attendance report, click the Export button.
A report will be downloaded to your device in the Excel format.
Edit Course Session
To edit a course session, select the relevant session on the Sessions section. On the opened Actions panel, select the Edit Course Session link.
On the Edit Course Session panel, introduce all necessary changes to the session. Select Save to save the updates and changes.
More information about the course session fields can be found in Creating a session section of this article.
Copy Course Session
The Copy Course Session link allows to create a new session by coping the existing one.
To do this, select a session and click the Copy Course Session button from its Actions panel.
In the opened sidebar, you will see a copy of the selected session with empty Start and End Dates fields. The other fields will be preoccupied with content from the original session.
Fill in the required the Start and End Dates fields, make changes to other fields if needed and Save to create a new session or Cancel to discard.
The Manage Learners action link allows to enroll and unenroll learners for sessions with Enroll user into a single course session course enrollment type.
The learners can also be added to the course with Enroll user into a single course session enrollment type from the People section without enrolling them in a specific session. The added learners will select the required session themselves by following the link in the email notification or directly on the course home page.
When you select the Manage Learners action link, the Manage People panel opens.
To enroll learners, select Enroll Learner(s).
A single user or multiple users as well as a single AD/O365 group or several groups (O365 group means Office 365 group, Mail-enabled security group, or Security group) can be added by typing or copy & pasting emails or names separated by comma or semicolon.
Next to the AD group, in brackets the number of users in it is specified. Each user of the AD group is counted regarding Max. Attendees set for the session and the number of available places is automatically updated after each enrollment/unenrollment.
If you try to enroll number of learners exceeding the number of Max. Attendees set for a session, a validation message will appear.
To unenroll users, select the learner(s) and click the Unenroll button on the Manage People panel.
You can select all by checking the Name column.
The number of selected users is specified in brackets on the Unenroll button.
The Email Learners action link allows to send email messages to learners of the selected session.
On the opened Email Learners sidebar, select the learner(s) you want to send a message and, from the Actions panel, select Send Email Message.
Fill in the Subject and Message fields and select Send.
By default, a link to the course page and session details are displayed at the bottom of the message. You can edit or delete all information in the Message field.
The email will be sent as one email to all selected learners. Sending the same email to a large number of recipients can increase the risk of your message being rejected, categorized as less important, or even junk email by email clients and spam filters.
The Send Message option is disabled for learners that does not have an email address registered with their account.
If you select several learners and some of them does not have an email address registered with their account, the Send Email Message option will be available, but you will be warned that the email message will be received only by users with specified email addresses.
The Email Learners option is also available on the Course Management panel and in the People section of the course edit panel. In this case, you can select to message all learners that are enrolled in the course.
Download QR Code for Attendance Tracking
The Download QR Code for Attendance Tracking action link is only available on the Actions panel if the admin, during session creation or editing, has set QR Code is required under Allow Learners to register their own Attendance via the LMS365 Mobile App.
The Download QR Code for Attendance Tracking action link allows course admins and instructors to download a QR Code for this session. Thus, this QR code can be shared with learners to let them scan the QR code and set attendance.
The QR code is downloaded in the PDF format. You print it out, share via email, insert it into the presentation for the audience to scan during the session.
Delete Course Session
To delete a course session, select a session under the Sessions section, and click the Delete Course Session button on the actions panel.
To confirm the action, click Delete, otherwise click Cancel.