About this guide
In this article we will provide you with an overview of Line Manager Dashboard and its capabilities.
You will see how managers can observe and manage the training activity of their subordinates, how to change course catalog or view the data from all course catalogs, how to manage enrollment requests and reports, how to filter or search for a training or user, how to manage user's enrollment/unenrollment, grant or revoke competencies, import an external training, and how to download certificates.'
Please note: In order to employ all features of the Line Manager Dashboard, you need to have your organization hierarchy set up with appropriate manager relationships.
Line Manager Dashboard overview
The Line Manager can observe and manage the training activity of their subordinates via the Line Manager Dashboard.
To go to the Line Manager Dashboard:
- Navigate to My Training Dashboard.
- Click the Line Manager Dashboard button:
Here you will find the full list of the reports you are working with as a Line Manager:
All data that are displayed on the Line Manager Dashboard are related to the current Course Catalog.
NOTE: The icon with an arrow next to a user shows that this user is not in the current Course Catalog. To manage their learning, this user needs to be added to the current Course Catalog.
If you want to change the Course Catalog or view the data from all Course Catalogs, click Course Catalog Selector at the top of the page and select the desired one:
NOTE: If you select to show All Catalogs, you can see an aggregated summary view of the direct reports across all Course Catalogs. Some of the actions might be disabled.
There are several levels of reports to display on the page:
- Direct Reports – the users who are managed by and report directly to the Line Manager.
- Direct Report’s Subordinates – the users who are managed by the direct reports.
If there are users who have already sent requests, click the Enrollment Requests icon to view them. The total number of users’ requests will be shown on the icon:
The Dashboard is divided into the following sections: Name, In Progress, Not Started, Completed, Overdue and Expired Certificates, CEUs sections:
- Name – displays user’s name. In this column subordinates are displayed.
NOTE: The users with disabled AD accounts are not shown as subordinates on the Dashboard.
- In Progress – displays the number of courses that user’s subordinates have already started, but have not completed yet;
- Not Started – displays the number of courses that user’s subordinates have not started;
- Completed – displays the number of courses that user’s subordinates have already completed;
- Overdue – displays the number of the courses that user’s subordinates have not completed up to the Due Date. You can use this section as a filter to search users enrolled in courses with Overdue status;
- Expired Certificates – displays the number of the subordinates’ certificates that have expired (if a subordinate has several expired certificates for one course, only the latest one is counted) as well as all the certificates that are assigned. The user can use this section as a filter to search users with expired certificates;
- CEUs – displays the number of CEUs earned.
Filtering by training
The information can be grouped using different filters on this page. Click the Filter By Training button at the upper-right corner:
In the opened sidebar, select course(s)/training plan(s) for displaying the reports (all courses and training plans available on the Course Catalog are displayed).
To filter the Line Manager Dashboard to only find Learners who do not have any registered Training click the Filter by No training button. You can also search for a specific report by specifying date range (Start and End date), using filter by training type (All Training) or competencies set for the training (Competencies):
Searching for reports
You can search for the needed report by training and competency using the Search field. This search is run on the name and type for Trainings and on name, categories, and tags for Competencies.
NOTE: The result of filtering depends on the start and end date of publishing the e-learning courses as well as the session start and end date of classroom or webinar courses.
You can save the information presented on this page to your local computer. To do this, click the Export button and save the Excel file. The information will be shown according to the selected filters.
If you select a report, the following sidebar will be opened:
NOTE: Some of the actions might be unavailable for the following reasons:
- The action is not allowed for multiple learners.
- The action requires a single Course Catalog to be selected.
- One or more selected learners are outside the selected Catalog
To view the report’s transcript:
- choose the desired report.
- select View Learner’s Transcript action in the sidebar. A list of all report’s courses, certificates, and competencies with the possibility to export the information to the PDF will appear.
To view the report’s progress in the courses or training plans:
- choose the desired report;
- select View Learner’s Progress action in the sidebar. You will be able to view the Course and Training Plan progress of the selected report.
To find out more please follow Viewing Learner’s Progress:
In the charts you can see number of the trainings (courses and training plans) where the report is currently enrolled, number of the trainings that report has ever completed, total number of CEUs for the completed trainings as well as percentage of the trainings with ‘Completed’, ‘In Progress’, ‘Not Started’, and ‘Overdue’ statuses.
Below the charts you can see report’s trainings. There is a possibility to expand the Training Plans to see more details on courses included into them (required courses are marked with an asterisk). You can also see if Learner is enrolled in the training (Is Enrolled = No is displayed when Learner has been unenrolled from the training or has an enrollment request for the training), as well as status, CEUs, progress, completion date, overdue status and date, certificate and expiry date. For more detailed information please follow How to understand the "Learner’s Progress" in Line Manager’s Dashboard.
NOTE: To download or delete certificates (if there are any) for the imported external Trainings as well as for the existing or already deleted Course:
- select the required Course/Training
- click the View button and select the desired action:
To export report’s progress information to Excel, click the Download Report button. An excel document will automatically be downloaded to your computer.
Enrolling into a training
To enroll reports in the courses or training plans:
- choose the desired report(s);
- select Enroll in Course(s) & Training Plan(s) action in the sidebar. A list of all available trainings as well as selected reports with the possibility to deselect them will appear. By default, selected Learners list is collapsed:
NOTE: It is possible to select only one training to enroll reports into.
- Click the Enroll button.
You can filter trainings for the enrollment by specifying Date Period (Start and End dates period), using filter by training type (e-Learning, Classroom & Blended Training, Webinar, or Training Plan), publishing (published, unpublished or planned trainings), and competencies or using the Search field.
After selecting trainings for the enrollment and clicking the the Enroll button, reports will be added to the Learners group of the corresponding courses and training plans (Users will be enrolled in all unlocked courses of the training plan), and will receive Course/Training Plan Enrollment Confirmation and appointments for Classroom/Webinar courses with ‘Enroll user into all course sessions’ enrollment type. If ‘Enroll user into a single course session’ enrollment type is selected, User will receive Course Session Selection Request notification.
NOTE: If the trainings are unpublished or 'Show in Course Catalog' option is disabled for them, you will not see these trainings in the list of courses to enroll into.
Unenrolling from a training
To unenroll reports from the courses or training plans:
- choose the desired reports;
- select Unenroll from Course(s) & Training Plan(s) action in the sidebar. A list of trainings where the reports are enrolled (if several Users are selected, only trainings where all of them are enrolled are displayed in the list) and selected reports with the possibility to delete them will appear (by default, selected Learners list is collapsed):
- click the Unenroll button.
To unenroll reports from the all the courses or training plans:
- click the desired reports;
- click the Unenroll from all Courses & Training Plans button;
- select Unenroll from Course(s) & Training Plan(s) action in the sidebar;
- confirm your action.
NOTE: There are several reasons when the unenrolling process cannot be carried out:
- when the report has already completed the course;
- when the option 'Unable to unenroll' is enabled;
- when the report is a member of an Active Directory Group.
To approve/reject enrollment requests:
- choose the desired report;
- click the Enrollment Requests button;
- select the desired Training(s) to execute the following actions:
- to approve enrollment requests, click the Approve button or in case you want to reject enrollment requests, click the Reject button, enter the Reject message and then click the Reject button one more time:
NOTE: The imported trainings will be displayed on the Dashboard and in the reports on the Deleted Courses.
NOTE: The Session Start Date & Location column will be empty if the request if for the Training Plans or E-learning course
Downloading a certificate
To download report’s certificates:
- choose the desired report;
- select Download Certificate(s) action in the sidebar. In the Notifications center you will see the progress of preparing an archive with the Learner(s) certificates. Click the link to download it to your computer:
Certificates in the archive file are grouped by learners (folders with learners’ names). Each folder contains learner’s certificates with Valid, Expiring or Expired statuses (all certificates are downloaded in .pdf format).
Importing an external training
To import an external training:
- click the desired report;
- select the Import External Training action in the sidebar;
- fill in the form, specifying the course title, course type and categories (for a non-existing one), set the completion date and additionally specify the number of granted CEUs.
- select the certificate image from your local computer or select the certificate template for generating the certificate and specify certificate’s expiry date (this step is optional).
Using this form, you can upload a certificate image from your local computer (.tiff, .jpeg, .bmp, .gif, .png, and .pdf formats are supported).
NOTE: The imported trainings will be displayed on the Dashboard and in the reports on the Deleted Courses. Please be advised that in case a certificate is imported for an existing course on which a user has existing registration (with Enrolled or Cancelled statuses) and enrolment date is less than Certificate Issued Date, the user will not see this certificate on the Dashboard.
- Click the Save button.
Granting and revoking competencies
To grant competency(ies) to the report(s):
- click the desired reports;
- select the Grant Competency action in the sidebar;
- specify competency(ies) with the appropriate levels to be granted and optionally the revocation date:
- Click the Grand button.
To revoke competency(ies) from the reports:
- click the desired report(s),
- select the Revoke Competency action in the sidebar;
- choose the competency(ies) to be revoked:
- Click the Revoke button.
After revocation, competency will be displayed on the Dashboard in the Revoked Competencies tab.
Setting up managers in LMS365
In order to employ the full features of the Line Manager Dashboard it's important that you have your organization hierarchy set up. The Line Manager Dashboard uses Microsoft Graph API to get the manager relationship which means the manager property should be set in Azure Active Directory.
To specify the user's manager from the Microsoft 365 admin center:
- Login as an administrator to your Office 365 and then choose 'Admin centers', and 'Exchange'.
- Go to the 'recipients' on the left side menu and search for the person that you want to manage.
- Highlight the person and choose edit:
- Navigate to Organization and then browse their manager:
To specify the user's manager from Azure Active Directory directly:
- Login as an administrator to your Azure portal, go to 'Azure Active Directory' in the left menu.
- Go to Manage - Users.
- Search for the person you want to manage, and click them to manage.
- Click the Edit button on the top navigation bar:
- Navigate to the 'Job Info' and click change or remove the manager:
- Search for the desired manager and click the "Select" button.
Please note: A common case is synchronizing your local Active Directory with Office 365. If you have that configuration in place you set up the organizational hierarchy in the local Active Directory, and the changes are pushed to Azure Active Directory during synchronization.
Please note: Setting up manager in user profiles in SharePoint Admin Center of Office 365 will not push the changes to Azure Active Directory. SharePoint Online uses the Active Directory Import timer job to import users and groups into the User Profile Application. AD Import syncs changes from the SharePoint Online Directory Store to the User Profile Application. For more information check the following articles:
- Information about user profile synchronization in SharePoint Online
- Manage SharePoint Online user profiles from the SharePoint admin center
Once your organization hierarchy is set up in Azure Active Directory it will be synched with our application. By default, the synchronization runs once an hour. After that, you will be able to see subordinates in the manager dashboard. Besides, make sure your subordinates have at least Visitor permissions on the site where you placed the dashboard app part.