Category is one or more words added to a course/training plan to improve the search experience. In this article, we will provide you with an overview of where and how to manage categories: create, add a new one, edit an existing, remove a selected category from the training, or delete a category from the course catalog.
Categories can be created either on the course catalog level or directly in the relevant course or training plan from the Basic Details section of the create/edit panel for e-Learning courses, Instructor-Led training, and training plans.
Subcategories can be created only on the course catalog level.
Categories that are created in courses or training plans will be added to both the list of all categories of the current course catalog, and the course or training plan they've been created in.
To create a new category/subcategory in the course catalog, follow the steps:
1) LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings >Categories > Add Category.
2) On the opened Add Category panel, fill in the fields:
- In the Name field, enter the name of the category/subcategory.
- From the Parent Category drop-down list, select Top Level to make a category as a separate category. The Top Level category can be used as a parent category for the subcategories.
- If you would like a (new) category to be the subcategory of the parent one, from the Parent Category drop-down list, select the relevant name of the Top Level category.
3) Select Save to create a new category.
When filtering courses/training plans on the course catalog home page by categories, user selects the top level category, the filtered result will include the courses/training plans with this top level category as well the courses/training plans with subcategories of this top level category. If a subcategory is selected, only the trainings with this subcategory will be displayed in the result.
Where to manage categories
Categories are managed by course catalog administrators from the LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Categories.
On the Categories page, you find the list of all categories and subcategories of the current course catalog.
If the category contains subcategories, select the expand icon next to the parent category to see a list of its subcategories.
Select the eye icon to see the list of courses/training plans that use this category/subcategory.
On the opened Course(s) using this Category panel, you find the list of courses/training plans that use this category/subcategory.
Editing a category
Editing of category/subcategory is available only on the course catalog level.
To edit a category, follow the steps:
1) LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Categories page > Select the relevant category/subcategory to edit.
2) On the opened Edit Category panel, introduce necessary changes to the category. You can rename it or change its level. For example, make a top level category a subcategory.
If a Top Level category has subcategories, the Parent Category drop-down list is deactivated. In this case, to edit the level, first, change the level of its subcategories to Top Level.
Removing a category from a course/training plan
Categories can be removed from courses/training plans on the course and course catalog level.
- To remove category directly from course/training plan, navigate to the Basic Details section of the create/edit panel for e-Learning courses, Instructor-Led training, and training plans.
- You can remove one, several, or all categories from the course/training plan on the course catalog level following the steps:
1) LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Categories.
2) Select the eye icon near the relevant category/subcategory to see all courses/training plans it is used in.
3) On the opened Course(s) using this Category panel, select the red cross icon next to the training title which you want to remove the selected category/subcategory from.
4) In the confirmation message, select OK to remove the category/subcategory from course/training plan. Select Cancel to cancel the action.
Deleting a category from the course catalog
- The categories that are in use or have subcategories cannot be deleted. The Delete button is disabled in this case.
- Deletion of a category cannot be undone.
To delete a category from the course catalog, follow the steps:
1) On the Categories page, select the category to delete.
2) On the opened Edit Category panel, select Delete Category.
3) In the confirmation window, select OK to proceed with deletion. Select Cancel to cancel the action.