Category is one or more words added to a course to improve the article search experience. In this article, we will provide you with an overview of where and how to manage categories: add a new one, edit an existing or remove a selected category from the training, or delete a category from the course catalog. To find more about how to set a category to a training, please follow to the article Creating e-Learning.
Managing categories on a Course Catalog level
Categories are managed by course catalog administrators from the LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Categories.
The list of categories is displayed on the Categories page. The list includes all categories of the current course catalog.
You can see a list of already created categories and subcategories.
Select the expand button next to the parent category to see a list of its subcategories.
Select the eye icon to see the list of courses/training plans that use this category.
On the opened Course(s) using this Category panel, the list of courses/training plans that use this category are listed.
Creating a new category
To create a new category in the course catalog, follow the steps:
1) On the Categories page, select Add Category.
2) On the opened Add Category panel, fill in the fields:
- In the Name field, enter the name of the category.
- From the Parent Category drop-down list, select Top Level to make a category as a separate category. The Top Level category can be used as a parent category for the subcategories. If you would like the new category to be the subcategory of the parent one, from the Parent Category drop-down list, select the relevant name of the Top Level category.
3) Select Save to create a new category.
Editing a category
To edit a category, follow the steps:
1) On the Categories page, select the relevant category to edit from the list.
2) On the opened Edit Category panel, introduce necessary changes to the category. You can rename it or change its level, for example, make it a subcategory from the Top Level.
If a Top Level category has subcategories, the Parent Category drop-down list is deactivated. In this case,
to edit the level of a Top Level category, first, change the level of its subcategories into Top Level thus making them not subcategories, but categories.
Removing a category from a course/training plan
Categories are added to a course or training plan in the Basic Details section during training creation/editing. The Category field is not required to fill in. Follow the links above to find out how to remove category directly from the training on the course level.
You can remove one, several or even all categories from the training on the Course Catalog level following the step: LMS365 Admin Center > Catalog Settings > Categories > select category > click the eye icon to see all the training the category is used in > click a red cross next to the training title which you want to remove the selected category from.
In the confirmation message, select OK to remove the category from course. Select Cancel to cancel the action.
Deleting a category from the course catalog
- The categories that are in use or have subcategories cannot be deleted. The Delete button is disabled in this case.
- Deletion of a category cannot be undone.
To delete a category from the course catalog, follow the steps:
1) On the Categories page, select the category to delete.
2) On the opened Edit Category panel, select Delete Category.
3) In the confirmation window, select OK to proceed with deletion. Select Cancel to cancel the action.