Category is one or more words added to a course to improve the article search experience. In this article we will provide you with an overview of where and how to manage categories: add a new one, edit an existing or remove a selected category from the training or delete a category from the course catalog. To find more about how to set a category to a training please follow to Creating, Editing, and Deleting Courses article.
Where to manage categories
Categories are managed from the Settings section in the Administration back-end:
Please be aware: Only Course Catalog administrators can see such page and create, edit, delete or search the categories.
List of categories is displayed for the current course catalog.
You can see a list of already created categories and subcategories (click the expand button next to the Parent category to see a list of its subcategories).
And also by clicking the View button (an eye icon) you can see the list of courses/training plans that use this category.
In the opened list of courses/training plans that use this category.
Creating a new category
To create a new category:
- Click the Add Category button at the top of the page;
- In the left-side menu, enter the name of the category, select its parent category (it will be created as a subcategory) or select ‘Top Level’ if you want to create a parent category.
- Click the Save button to create a category.
Editing a category
To edit a category:
- Select the needed one from the list;
- In the left-side menu make the necessary changes to the category. You can rename it or change its level (e.g. make it a subcategory);
- Click Save to save the changes.
Removing a category from a course/training plan
You can remove category from the training via Select category - Click the View button - Click a red cross next to the training title which you want to remove the selected category from.
You will see a confirmation message.
Please be aware: Category that is the only one used in the course can not be removed, the remove action is disabled and a tooltip with explanation is displayed:
Deleting a category from the course catalog
You can delete only categories that are not in use and do not have subcategories. Do the following steps:
- Select the category that you want to delete;
- In the left-side menu click the Delete Category button.
- Confirm the deletion.
Please be aware: Any changes in categories will automatically be updated in the course catalog.