To create reports on the learning data from LMS365, you will need Power BI client for preferred platform and the API secret key for your tenant. This articles describes the steps of how to get an API key and how start creating reports in your Power BI desktop.
In this article
Getting API key for the Power BI
To get the API key for your tenant domain e.g. elearningforce.sharepoint.com, the Microsoft 365 global administrator or LMS administrator should do the following:
- Navigate to LMS365 Admin Center > Global Settings > Settings > API Key Management.
- Select the relevant API key from the list of API keys and chose the Copy API Key option next to the key to copy the API key to clipboard.
Connecting LMS365 with Power BI desktop
Steps below describe interaction with desktop client:
1. Using the Power BI desktop client, create a new report.
2. Select Get Data option > OData Feed.
We recommend using specific LMS365 API end point for your region to eliminate any possible issues with proxy. Here is the full list:
|Region||API End Point|
|United Kingdom South||https://uk-api.365.systems/odata/v2|
|Germany West Central||https://de-api.365.systems/odata/v2|
|U.S. Government GCC||https://va-api.usgcc365.systems/odata/v2|
4. Access an OData feed modal window will open and display "The user was not authorized" warning. Navigate to the Basic tab:
- In the Username field paste the copied API key or enter the word api.
- In the Password field also paste the copied API key.
- Select Connect to continue.
5. After the connection is installed, you will see a left-side menu with a list of tables that you can select to use for your visualizations. From here you can start building your visualized reports.
You may be interested in this tutorial: Analyze sales data from Excel and an OData feed.
For more technical details about OData service provided, please check the document attached.