A global or SharePoint admin in Microsoft 365 can configure external sharing at two levels:
- Configure external sharing for SharePoint online environment at the organization level (tenant)
- Configure external sharing for an individual site (previously called a "site collection")
To enable external sharing on any site, you need to configure it at the organization level. For more information, please refer to the External Sharing overview.
Configure external sharing for your SharePoint online environment
If the external sharing is enabled only at the tenant level, guests will still get the invitation, but will not have access to the course catalog.
Configure external sharing for an individual site
- Go to the SharePoint Admin center > Active sites.
- Select the specific site collection(s) you want to share.
- Select Sharing to enable the external sharing and Save the changes. Now you have a possibility to share the site.
If you decide to disable external sharing for individual site collection later, existing external users will not be able to access the content of the selected site collections. If you want to temporarily limit external user access, consider turning off external sharing from the Tenant Settings page instead.
For more information, please refer to the External Sharing overview.