In LMS365, Microsoft 365 global admins and LMS admins can enable a preview of AI-enhanced features. Currently, the AI-driven assistance is available to admins in the LMS365 Admin Center to create quizzes, and create questions in quizzes and question pools. The enabled option facilitates the regular process of quiz and question creation for admins.
In this article, we show how to enable and use the AI-powered assistance feature in LMS365 to create quizzes, and quiz and question pool questions.
For more information about the methods employed by LMS365 to manage data, ensure privacy, and maintain security in the context of AI-powered features, see this article.
- The LMS365 AI-powered assistance feature to create quizzes and quiz questions is released in preview. During this initial phase, LMS365 reserves the right to discontinue this service at any time.
- Currently, LMS365 is offering all its customers complimentary early access to its AI features. The future business model will be determined based on the insights and feedback gathered from this experience.
- The AI service has internal restrictions to prevent the generation of harmful, offensive, or potentially dangerous content. If such content is detected, the service will refuse to generate it. The administrator will be notified in such instances.
Enable AI assistance to create quizzes and questions
Required role: Microsoft 365 global admins or LMS admins
To enable your admins to create quizzes, and quiz and question pool questions with AI assistance, the AI in the LMS365 Admin Center feature must be activated. By default, this feature is turned off.
Admins can continue to follow their regular quiz and question creation process even if this feature is enabled.
To enable AI in the LMS365 Admin Center, follow these steps:
1. In the LMS365 Admin Center, go to Global Settings > LMS Configuration > Preview features.
2. On the opened Preview features panel:
- Enable Generative AI features by dragging the toggle to On. This enables users to access the AI features in LMS365.
- Select the checkbox to confirm you Accept LMS365 terms. For more information about the methods employed by LMS365 to manage data, ensure privacy, and maintain security in the context of AI-powered features, see this article.
- Enable the AI Features: Content Generation feature by dragging the toggle to On.
3. Select Save. To cancel the action, select Cancel.
Create quizzes with AI
In LMS365, there are several methods for creating quizzes using AI:
- From the LMS365 Admin Center > Content on the left-side panel > Quizzes > Create quiz with AI.
- From within an existing course via the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > select the relevant course > select Manage Course Content > Create quiz with AI or Add learning item > Quiz > Create quiz with AI. This will add the quiz to the course.
- From within a new course via the LMS365 Admin Center > Training Management > Create training > select the Content tab > Create quiz with AI or Add learning item > Quiz > Create quiz with AI. This will add the quiz to the course.
In all cases, you'll be directed to the Generate quiz panel, where you can create a quiz with AI.
On the opened Generate quiz panel, complete the Content for questions field. AI will use this content to generate the quiz.
Create questions with AI assistance
In LMS365, there are several methods for creating quiz questions. You can begin this process using AI assistance, creating quiz questions manually, or by employing a combination of these options:
- When creating or editing a quiz from the LMS365 Admin Center > Content on the left-side panel > Quizzes.
- When creating or editing a quiz from within a new or existing course. This will add the question to the quiz.
- From the Create question pool page, where you can create a question and add it directly to a question pool.
In all cases, you'll be directed to an editor, where you can create questions with AI assistance:
1. From the editor options, select AI assistance.
2. On the opened Generate questions with AI assistance panel, complete the Content for questions field. AI will use this content to generate the questions.
Whether you land on the Generate quiz or Generate questions with AI assistance panel, the way you generate questions is almost identical.
This section covers how to generate questions from both the Generate quiz and Generate questions with AI assistance panels.
- The content and files uploaded to LMS365 to generate quizzes and questions aren't stored by LMS365. They are used solely for the purpose of generating quizzes and questions and aren't retained thereafter.
- While the Content for questions field can contain more, LMS365 can generate quizzes and questions based on a maximum of 10,000 characters. The counter below the Content for questions field shows how many characters out the 10,000 character limit remain. If the counter shows a negative number, you'll have to remove some content before you can generate the quiz.
- The AI feature can generate quizzes and questions from content displayed in tables, paragraphs, and lists.
- Currently, the AI feature can't generate quizzes or questions from videos or images.
1. Add content to the Content for questions field using one or more of the following methods:
- Manually enter the relevant content in the field. Alternatively, you can input just a topic, which AI will use to generate related questions.
- Copy the content from a resource and paste it in the field.
- Use the Insert text from file option to add content from PDF files (limited to 10 pages of the original file), Word files (limited to 500 paragraphs of the original file), and PowerPoint files (limited to 10 slides of the original file). The content from the file will be uploaded to the Content for questions field, from where it can be edited.
2. If you're creating a quiz, set the percentage score that learners must achieve to pass the quiz in the Quiz passing score field. The value must be between 0% and 100%. A learner's score is calculated based on the quiz points a learner achieves while taking the quiz.
3. Define the number of questions and answers you want to generate for the selected question types. You can define between one and 20 questions in total, across all question types.
- In the Number of questions field:
- Specify the number of questions you want to generate for each question type. For Multiple choice, Multiple answers, and True or false question types, AI can generate between one and 10 questions at a time. For the Matching question type, AI can generate between one and 5 questions.
- If there is a question type you don't want to generate, leave the default value 0 in the field. This is a mandatory field.
- In the Number of answers field:
- Specify a number between 2 and 5 for each question. The default setting is 3 answers. This field isn't available for True or false question types.
- If the corresponding Number of questions field is set to 0, the Number of answers field should have a value between 2 and 5. In this case, questions and answers won't be generated. This is a mandatory field.
Currently, AI can generate questions of the following question types:
- Multiple choice
- Multiple answers
- True or false
This image shows an example of generating questions with AI assistance.
This image shows an example of generating a quiz.
4. Select Generate to generate the quiz/questions. To cancel the action, select Close.
The amount of time it takes to generate the quiz/questions depends on the amount and complexity of the content you provide.
As a result:
- AI will generate questions with default settings and add them directly to the quiz or the question pool. You can then manage the quiz and these questions in the usual way.
- The number of questions generated may be lower than you requested because of the amount of content you provided.
Languages supported by AI
The AI-powered assistant in LMS365 understands languages that are supported by Microsoft. This means that the generated quiz or questions will be in the same language as the content provided in the Content for questions field. For example, if the submitted content is in German, the generated quiz or questions will also be in German.
Feedback and questions
If you have any questions or comments about using AI-powered features in LMS365, or have questions about compliance or privacy, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have suggestions, proposals, or input on how we can enhance the AI-driven features in LMS365, we invite you to share them on our Ideas platform.