LMS365 | Assignments & Gradebook User Guide
LMS365 Assignments & Grade Book is used for creating, managing, tracking and grading of Assignment tasks in SharePoint Online.
To add the Assignments & Grade Book to the Course, open the required Course in Edit Mode. On the opened page switch on the Assignments & Grade Book option:
And click Save button. After that, the Assignments & Grade Book appears in Course Management actions panel:
Assignments & Grade Book Web Part is added to the Course home page.
The web part displays the list of Assignments depending on user permissions (Teacher (Course Administrator) or Learner role) – Teacher View or Learner View.
LMS365 Assignments & Grade Book suggests the following flow for Assignments:
1. An Assignment is created by Course Administrator;
2. Assignment Tasks are generated for all Learners on the Opening Date;
3. Learner edits his Assignment Task and submits it;
4. Course Administrator checks submitted task and returns it to Learner or approves and grades it;
5. If the task was returned, Learner edits and submits it again.
Only Course Administrator can create new Assignments.
To create a new Assignment, do the following:
1. On the Course Management panel, choose Assignments & Grade Book and click Manage Assignments;
2. On the opened page click New Assignment button:
3. Fill in the opened form:
− Assignment Name – defines a name as it will appear in the headings of the Assignment and Tasks throughout the site. Enter name for the new Assignment;
− Description – defines a descriptive text that will help site visitors use the resource. Enter description text for the new Assignment, insert a YouTube video, upload video or image, upload files to the description field;
− Attach File – attach files to the Assignment that cannot be edited by Learners.
− Select Grade Scale – select a grade scale for the new Assignment from the drop-down list;
− Tags – defines keyword or term assigned to the created Assignment. Enter tag or several tags separated with comma that will be assigned to the new Assignment;
− Opening Date – specify date and time, from which the Assignment will become available for Learners;
− Due Date – specify date and time which will be the deadline for submitting the Assignment. Assignments not submitted till this time will be marked overdue;
− Closing Date – specify closing date and time for the Assignment.
4. Click Save button to save the new Assignment. It will be saved and displayed on Course Home Page:
The Course Admin can view, edit and delete the assignment from this list using Actions button.
• All Assignments – shows list of all assignments;
• Due this week – shows list of assignments for current week;
• Due next week – shows list of assignments for the next week;
• Overdue – shows list of all assignments with “Overdue” status.
To view Assignment Tasks of all Learners, click the View button.
When Opening Date is reached, the Assignment Task is generated for all Learners.
The Course Admin can view all Assignments on the site in the Manage Assignment:
A list of Assignments displays with the following information:
• Assignment Name – contains Assignment title;
• Opening Date – shows Opening Date of the Assignment;
• Due Date – shows Due Date of the Assignment;
• Closing Date – shows Closing Date of the Assignment;
• Due Status – shows status of the Assignment:
• Not Published – Assignment has been created but Open Date has not been reached yet - and can be seen only by the Course Administrator;
• Published – Assignment is shown for all Learners;
• Closed – Assignment is closed and no more submissions from Learners are possible.
• Not Started – shows number of Learner’s Assignment Tasks with “Not Started” status;
• Submitted – shows number of Learner’s Assignment Tasks with “Submitted” status;
• Returned – shows number of Learner’s Assignment Tasks with “Returned” status;
• Completed – shows number of Learner’s Assignment Tasks with “Completed” status;
• Actions – contains buttons for actions available for this Assignment.
The Course Admit can view (click button), edit (click button) or delete (click button).
Click Save to save the changes or Cancel to discard all changes.
After Course Admin edits an Assignment, changes are made to all generated Learners’ Assignment Tasks in all statuses. Statuses of Tasks remain unchanged.
You can grade the Assignment, if it was submitted by Learner.
1. Choose the required assignment, click it, the list of Learners that have already submitted the Assignment appears:
3. Click button, on the opened Task edit form select a grade from the drop-down list:
4. Click Return to return the Task to Learner, Approve to approve submission or Cancel to discard all changes.
In Learner view the web part displays a list of Learner’s Assignment Tasks with the following information:
All Assignments – shows list of all assignments;
Due this week – shows list of assignments for current week with statuses “Not Started”, “Returned” and “Overdue”;
Due next week – shows list of assignments for the next week with statuses “Not Started”, “Returned” and “Overdue”;
Overdue – shows list of all assignments with “Overdue” status;
Completed – shows list of assignments with “Completed” status (approved by Course Administrator).
Assignment Name – contains Assignment Task name;
Due Date – shows Due Date of Learner’s Assignment Task;
Closing Date - shows Closing Date of Learner’s Assignment Task;
Task Status - shows status of the Assignment Task:
- Not Started – Assignment Task has not been submitted from the Learner to the Course Administrator;
- Submitted – Assignment Task has been Submitted so Course Administrator can Return or Approve and Grade;
- Returned – Course Administrator has returned the document to the Learner;
- Completed – Course Administrator Approved and Graded Assignment Task;
- Overdue – the Assignment Task is past the overdue date and has not been submitted;
- Closed – the Assignment Task has not been submitted and the closing date has been reached;
Submission Date – shows date of Task submission to Course Administrator;
Grade – shows Learner’s grade for graded Assignment Tasks;
Average – shows Learner’s grade level according to class medial level;
Actions – contains action button for editing Assignment Task.
Learner can edit Tasks with statuses “Not Started” and “Returned”.
To edit an Assignment Task, click Edit button next to its name and on the opened page make the necessary changes, after that click Submit to submit the changes or Cancel to discard all changes.
Only Course Admin can create, manage, and delete Scale Sets.
To create a new Scale Set, do the following:
1. On the Course Management actions Panel click Scale Sets:
2. Click “Create new Scale Set” and fill in the opened form:
− In the Title field, type the title for the new scale set.
− In the Scale section, add % ranges and grades to the scale set item.
Use the “Set Default” radio button to set one Scale Set as default. It will be selected by default for creation of new Assignments:
It is possible to edit or delete existing scale sets on the Scale Sets page.
It is not possible to delete a Scale Set if it is used in an Assignment or a Custom grade.
If you try to delete a Scale Set that is currently used in an Assignment or a Custom grade, a warning message will appear:
Grade Book displays grades received by Learners for Assignments and SCORM/AICC packages.
1. On the Course Management actions Panel click Grade book:
A separate table shows grades of each Learner for Assignments, Custom Grades and SCORM/AICC packages on this site. Grades are added to the table after Course Administrator grades Learner’s Assignment Task or sets a grade manually in the Grade Book. After Learner passes, a SCORM/AICC package “Passed” status is displayed.
To set grades to each Learner for each Assignment Task manually click button:
and click the arrow down in the needed column to select the grade from the list:
After setting all needed grades click Save.
The Course Admin can add Custom grades:
Fill in the opened form:
It will be added as a new column to the Grade Book.
To open the Grade Book settings section click the Settings button in the Grade Book:
In the Settings section of the Grade Book you can:
1. Set course completion settings:
If the Course Admin adds to Course Completion Settings items that learner has already passed, Learner should complete these items again to complete the course.
IMPORTANT! When the Course Admin adds an item to Course Completion Settings, status of Learner’s completed attempt of this item is not cleared. Pay attention that it may be difficult for learners to complete a course with changed Course Completion Settings, as Completed status will be displayed for all items.
2. Manage Grade Book columns (change order, add/delete columns, change displayed title):
3. Manage Custom grades (add new, edit/delete existing ones):
Out of the box LMS365 Assignments & Grade Book is translated to English language only.
Out of the box LMS365 Assignments & Grade Book English translation can be modified the same way as it is translated to other languages.
LMS365 Assignments & Grade Book translation is applied for the whole tenant.
To add translation to alternate language(s) for the LMS365 Assignments & Grade Book, use Language Files section in Global settings:
1. Click Global Settings > Settings > Language Files > Assignment & Gradebook. Language Settings page will open:
2. Select an alternative language in the Select Language drop-down (a list of all possible alternative languages is displayed):
On the opened Language Settings page type your translation for each phrase in Your choice column and click Save:
1. Click ‘Export’ to save the language file to your local computer;
2. Edit the downloaded .xlsx file locally filling in the ‘Custom Values’ column:
3. Click Import and select the edited language file from your local computer.
4. Translation from Custom Values column will be displayed in Your choice. Click Save to save the translation.